"Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. "

Updating to the latest beta of Zotero seems to have bust the Open Office plugin. Running under linpus on an Acer Aspire one. Pity it was all working before and I've tried to follow some of the threads where others have had problems but the basic check for the URE directory seems ok?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
  • linpus is just a Linux distribution?
    You've tested that your Java is still working?
    http://javatester.org/version.html
  • On an Ubuntu Jaunty install of Linux running here, that page asks me to install a plugin, but the Open Office integration is working just fine. Seems like failure of that test under Linux might or might not point at a problem in the Java installation.
  • weird - works for me on karmic - so it might still be worth trying. If it does work we know this isn't the problem.
  • edited December 21, 2009
    Linpus is a version of Fedora

Yes Java is working and I get the pink rectangle with Java Version 1.7.0 from Sun Microsystems Inc.

I have had this working on this machine. It seemed to stop after an upgrade to Zotero in Firefox.
  • I was having this (or a similar) problem on Ubuntu 10.04. I realised that I had both the sun-java and the icedtea plugins installed. I solved the problem by removing the two packages icedtea6-6-jre-cacao and icedtea6-plugin. I hope this helps.
  • SOLVED

Sorry, I should have responded earlier and said I'd solved it.

Seems that the Java checks all work and show Java ok but don't check if you've got rubbish left from a previous install, plus lots of Java stuff was working OK.

I removed the Linpus pre-installed Java-like-thing and then all was well with the real Java and presto! Zotero works with Open Office under Linpus again.

gkgowlland you were on a similar track, thanks.

Dave
  • edited April 27, 2010
    Hi Linux people,

I've got this error with my Zotero OO plugin on Ubuntu 10.04. I'm pretty new at Linux so I'm not sure quite how to remove the pre-installed Java like thing as daverw suggested and as far as removing packages as gkgwolland suggesed, I see that I have icedtea6-plugin, but not icedtea6-6-jre-cacao.

How should I proceed? I am just a wee scared to start uninstalling random things.

Thanks.
    Best,
    Lisa
  • just remove the icedtead plugin using synaptics -
    very unlikely that something would stop working - and if it does, you can just re-install it.
    have you installed the sun-java packages?
  • Hi adamsmith,

Thanks much. I've removed the icedtead plugin with synaptics. I have not installed the sun-java packages, although I see two in synaptic: sunjava-db-common and sun-java-db-client. Install both?

Thanks for the help.

Lisa
  • no, those don't help - I think you need to have multiverse/universe enabled in software sources
    see here for more:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
  • edited April 27, 2010
    Hi adamsmith,

I looked under software sources and see the boxes checked for multiverse and universe.

Also, as far as the Java thing:
    lisa@lisa-desktop:~$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_18"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8) (6b18-1.8-0ubuntu1)
    OpenJDK Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

Is this as it should be?

Still no luck with the OO plugin, so I'm guessing not.

Many thank yous!

Best,
    Lisa
  • no, you really do need the sun java.
    Try following instructions here:
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-java-runtime-environment-jre-in-ubuntu-904-jaunty.html
  • hi adamsmith,

Thanks for all of your help. I can't quite get sun java installed right, but this is probably just due to user error and inexperience. I'll keep messing with it.

Thanks for you help!

Best,
    Lisa
  • Hi Lisa,
    In Ubuntu 10.04, the sun java plugin is now in the 'partner' repository. In the Software Sources configuration, look under the 'Other Software' tab and tick the first line that ends with 'Ubuntu Lucid Partner'. Then update, and see if the sun plugin appears in Synaptics.
    I hope this helps.

Geoffrey
  • oops - sorry about that - I'm waiting for the final release to update so I didn't see that.
  • Thanks to everyone for all of the help!

I just wanted to post an update in case anyone else who is new at Linux is struggling with this.

As Geoffrey suggested, I did have to go into the Software Sources> Other Software and mark the box that ended with "Ubuntu Lucid Partner," and then update. The appropriate Sun Java plugin did appear in Synaptics.

I installed it through Synaptics and then checked the Java version through the terminal, but kept coming up with the OpenJKE version.

I was getting quite frustrated with this until someone of the Ubuntu forum suggested running this:

$ sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun

And presto! Checking the java version again confirmed that the Sun Java was the current version.

I just tested my OO plugin and it is now working beautifully!

Thanks again for all your help!

Best,
    Lisa
  • Thank you all for the excellent guides - like Lisa above I am a Linux newbie, and have now managed to get Zotero to talk to Oo 3.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 just by reading the tips.