Use of zotero with delicious, diigo, etc.

There are many super-bookmarking tools out there. I'm loving diigo at the moment, which allows addition of comments and highlighting, as well as tagging, straight bookmarking (along with community features).

Lots of overlap with zotero here. How could these be united? Will next generation zotero do everything diigo does, and more? Could zotero latch on to these existing and well polished web page bookmarking applications, adding its expertise in deciphering peer reviewed research?

Importing del.icio.us and other bookmarks is one thing: keeping them in sync would be better. Diigo publishes my new links to del.icio.us, adding additional diigo-only information to the delicious entry. Could zotero publish some or all of each new entry to such a service?
  • love the synch idea to diigo and del.icio.us - please make it :-)
  • Me too, I have a big collection of delicious bookmarks, and I would love the idea of structuring them in zotero.
  • how about using a tag to trigger a sync:

in diigo:
    add the tag "zotero" - you can then manually (?automatically) ask zotero to check whether it has already added "zotero" tagged items. It can also pull down comments into zotero notes, sync the other tags, and add a link back to the diigo page.

in zotero:
    add the tag "diigo" This would cause a new diigo bookmark to be created, including addition of annotations from zotero notes.

the difficulty would be in keeping track of which note in zotero corresponds to which annotation. A one-off copy would not be very good. Maybe include a unique code with each note (ugly), or use a fuzzy match so updated annotations are recognized, providing they have at least a few words in common.
  • I'm a new Zotero user, and I'm also very interested in integrating with delicious and others (especially would love to be able to easily send some items to Evernote). Has any progress been made on this front, either by the Zotero team, or by users figuring out workarounds? Thanks!
  • One advantage of doing this is it would be a backdoor way to get support for mobile platforms like the iPhone and Android. I'd suggest adding this and include the ability to limit import by tag.
  • (especially would love to be able to easily send some items to Evernote)
    If you use the Evernote webclipper addon, this is very easy. Open an attachment, and (as long as you have attachments set to open in FF) use the webclipper to send them to evernote. You can do the same with reference info by clicking on one or more items, generating a report, and clipping that to Evernote.
  • Bumping for relevance now that it appears Yahoo is planning to kill off Delicious in the very near future. I'm thinking this is actually a great opportunity to consolidate my 2,000+ bookmarks with my Zotero library. Anyone have an import script, or willing to work on one? I can provide sample data exported from the Delicious API, if needed.
  • edited December 17, 2010
    To be honest, I'm not willing to waste my time programming anything related to this until the write API is done and opened up (well, and I'm busy with other things). But for me, Yahoo dumping delicious puts this API and server-side translation support very high on my priority list. I do a lot of my bookmarking these days on a mobile (android) device tied into delicious, and would really like zotero to pick up that use case.
  • i'm in the process of evaluating a couple of alternatives to delicious to decide where to move my collection (>4k bookmarks).
    current front-runner is Pinboard located at www.pinboard.in
    the have an api that's modeled after the v1 delicious api (see http://pinboard.in/howto/#api) so it should be easy to support it.

@bdarcus: that's also my most prominent use case. sounds good!