can't capture citation from JSTOR via EZproxy

something is not working for me when I try to capture a citation from JSTOR. When I'm on a JSTOR page (search results or article), the Zotero icon appears in the address bar but if I click it a grey pop-up box appears in the lower-right corner of my browser, stays blank and nothing else happen. I'm having this issue on two different (WinXP) computers, one running FF 2.0.0.4, the other 2.0.0.3.

I think it's a JSTOR specific issue as I have no problem capturing citations from the online catalog of my university library (after a couple seconds the pop-up displays "Saving item..." and then disappears, which never happens for me on JSTOR).

Ideas? Suggestions?
  • just an update: I thought the problem could be a conflict with another firefox add-on, so I've just tried it on a brand new copy of the program (FF portable 2.0.0.4 on a USB key). The same thing happened.
  • another update: it looks like it's a network problem. Using my laptop on my campus network I was able to capture citations from JSTOR. It's just not working when I'm off campus. Is there anyway to fix this?
  • I see the same behavior on my Mac. I actually have to force quick to get rid of the blank window. Not a nice bug.
  • Could one of you use "Report Errors" from the Actions (gear icon) menu after the save stalls and send in a report, and then post the Report ID here? Thanks.
  • This is what I have in my error report after trying it again. Mmmm, I guess Greasemonkey should have nothing to do with this, I'll try uninstalling it to see what happens.

> GM_MenuCommander.attach

< GM_MenuCommander.attach

[JavaScript Error: "this.menuCommanders has no properties" {file: "chrome://greasemonkey/content/browser.js" line: 376}]

> GM_MenuCommander.detach

* this.menuPopup: [object XULElement]

* this.menuPopup2: [object XULElement]

< GM_MenuCommander.detach

> GM_MenuCommander

< GM_MenuCommander

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.hostPort]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ingester.js :: proxyToProper :: line 147" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ingester.js" line: 147}]

> GM_MenuCommander

< GM_MenuCommander

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.hostPort]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ingester.js :: proxyToProper :: line 147" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/ingester.js" line: 147}]

> GM_MenuCommander

< GM_MenuCommander

> GM_MenuCommander

< GM_MenuCommander

> GM_MenuCommander

< GM_MenuCommander

> GM_MenuCommander

< GM_MenuCommander

• didn't work either with Greasemonkey uninstalled, but the error report is different. Just this:

• Number is: 1300109725
  • achh... forgot the number: 1363151891
  • edited June 7, 2007
    Looks like an EZProxy problem. Could one of you send support@zo.....org the HTTP headers (using LiveHTTPHeaders) for a JSTOR save attempt? Be sure to restart Firefox before saving to avoid cache problems, and remove any passwords in the output before sending.

Thanks.
  • anyone ever figure this out? i'm having the same problem.
  • edited August 28, 2007
    Has a fix or workaround been found for this problem? I too access most databases using EZProxy via my university. So JStore isn't the only problem; it also affects ProQuest, etc. It sure would be nice to be able to add things when I'm off campus.
  • This is interesting. We have the same problem with google scholar without ezproxy. More specific, depending on google scholar settings "interface language" (let's name it A) and "bibliography manager" (let's name it B):

Situation 1.
    A = dutch and B doesn't matter
    Result: problem on all google scholar result pages.

Situation 2.
    A = english and B = "Don't show any citation import links."
    Result: problem exists on google scholar result pages where one of the results is a citation

Situation 3.
    A = english and B = "import into Endnote"
    Result: no problem on all google scholar result pages !

We tested this twice on one PC; it started with situation 1 on another PC.
  • can we change the title of this discussion to "can't capture citation"? (so without jstor)
  • Javany: Your Google Scholar issues are independent of JSTOR issues I think. See this thread:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/539

I have submitted an edited translator that should solve your problem 2; it is waiting for approval from the Zotero developers.

Your problem 1 arises because the translator looks for certain English phrases on the Scholar results page - it is not designed to have international language support. The workaround is obviously to set your Scholar interface language to English. Hopefully someone will add such support to the translator soon though.
  • I posted a similar problem and was directed to this thread, but it does not seem to be resolved. Is there any update on the status of this issue?
  • FYI: Overnight we pushed cartesian's fix (thanks!) to the translator repository, and it is now available. Please update your translators to begin using it.
  • Same thing happens for me, the icon doesn't show up and I have to manually enter the information into Zotero. I've tried this from home - no proxy server just my cable connection and I've VPN'ed to my university - again no icon then either.

Here's an example of the site I was at Science Direct that is indicated as being supported:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&amp;_udi=B6W4X-4N9P4T4-1&amp;_user=10&amp;_coverDate=12/31/2007&amp;_rdoc=4&amp;_fmt=summary&amp;_orig=browse&amp;_srch=doc-info(%23toc%236554%232007%23999899997%23659209%23FLA%23display%23Volume)&_cdi=6554&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_ct=7&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=846d2f59efdbff2e5f6137ea73c5c9d6
  • Shornik: In your case the problem has nothing to do with EZProxy - it is that you're accessing ScienceDirect with only Guest access. ScienceDirect doesn't allow Zotero to export the citation information unless you are signed in to have full access to the article.
  • I'm having similar problems in not being able to capture citations from OCLC firstsearch, but in my case, though the book icon appears, nothing at all happens when I click on it (thus no error messages to forward). I also notice that the collection icon does not appear when I am viewing the full results list in OCLC, though once I click on an individual citation, the book icon appears--but doesn't work.

I'm working from an on campus computer. Is this related to EXProxy issues or, as I've just downloaded Zotero, is this an installation problem?
  • I'm having similar problems in not being able to capture citations from OCLC firstsearch, but in my case, though the book icon appears, nothing at all happens when I click on it (thus no error messages to forward)
    Does Report Errors by any chance become active in the Actions (gear icon) menu?
  • As a note, I'm definitely still seeing the JSTOR via EZprozy problem with the latest version and translators.
  • I couldn't not store items using zotero off-campus and now I can't store on-campus. I checked with university libraries and it works fine with those. JSTOR isn't working...

Running Firefox 2.0.0.9+Zotero 1.0.1