some bigger problems

hi guys,

first of all: i love your work you did on zotero! and i have to say: i am sorry for my bad english!!!
BUT:
i'm using it for my master thesis and i have some bigger problems now:
- imagine: i've got a book where i need to add the location (e.g. new york) so i add this in zotero in Firefox 3.6 but it doesn't appear in my bibliography in the word-file (word 2007) even if i click on actualize (i hope you know what i mean) in word... and there is another "bug": the citation-style is american psych. asso. 6th edition but the years are sometimes in brackets and sometimes not and so on... why is this? shouldn't it be identical in every citation? in zotero in FF it is all equal so i don't understand where there differences come from!?!?!

it would be very kind if you can help me and i will be very very thankfull if this could happen kind of quick because my closing date is at the end of the week!!! so: thank you guys

kind regards chris
  • i've done a little test: if i make a new file the new town (new york) appears in the new bibliography... but it doesn't in my old file... and copy/paste the whole thesis into a new file doesn't work, because zotero isn't finding the citations... *ARGL*

cya, chris
  • You've clicked Refresh in the Zotero plugin toolbar?
  • Seems strange to me.
    First: are you sure you work with the same citation style in the two documents? Some styles do not use the place field. So the effect you are observing may simply be because of different citation styles.
    Second: copy/paste of the whole file should work. Maybe you need to do a "refresh" from your word plugin menu?
    That the year is sometimes in brackets is maybe also a feature of the citation style and is dependent on the item-type you cite? (I am not familiar with am.psycho.). Try a different style and see whether the problem persists.
  • edited April 12, 2010
    and copy/paste the whole thesis into a new file doesn't work, because zotero isn't finding the citations...
    that's the problem then - you somehow managed to break the citations so that they aren't linked to Zotero anymore - I'm not sure how exactly. Have you moved between computers maybe?
    Try clicking on "edit Bibliography" - what happens?
    Try moving your cursor into one of the citations and click "edit citation" - what happens?
  • hi... wow this is fast commenting!!!

if i copy past it says that i have to insert a citation bevore i can go on with the operation... sry for the bad translation but i hope you know what error message i am talking about...
    and yes i've switched between mac and win. is this a problem? i hope not because i can't work any more on the mac (coffee in the keyboard isn't this good ;))

and yes i've switched the citation style from chicago to the psych. and yes too the refresh button is clicked so often clicked... i don't know how often...

so what can i do?

chris
  • how did you transfer your library from Mac to PC?
    also, for your original document, still these two questions:
    Try clicking on "edit Bibliography" - what happens?
    Try moving your cursor into one of the citations and click "edit citation" - what happens?
  • guys... i think you don't have to worry any more... i have copied the whole thesis in a new document... than i clicked on "add citation" and i had to choose a new citation style... so i choose my psych. and finally it seemes to work!!! i can modify my citations and the bibliography is all equal... (i hope so you understand me - you don't have any idea how difficult it is for me talking and explaining my problems in english) :D:D:D

BUT: thank you all!!! chris
  • I do not what your language is, but some people in these forums here do speak more than one. I for example could answer your questions in German and French. And probably others in many more. If you ask politely and are patient, people will help and eventually someone could help in your language.