If I enter a bibliography into a Word document and then try to ad another, it knocks out the first.

I'm getting really frustrated with Zotero, having thought it was a great tool. I have a word doc. with existing books and websites cited. I am trying to add more from my Zotero library, but each new entry just supersedes the old one. Please help!!
  • I am in Word 2008 for Mac. compiling a bibliography for a project. I tell Zotero to enter a citation, followed by a bibliography, both referring to a book. I delete the citation as I don't need it here. I then press return and try to enter another citation and bibliography. I simply replaces the first one.
  • So, if I have this right you are:

1. Inserting a citation using the insert citation button.
    2. Inserting a bibliography using the insert bibliography button,
    3. Deleting the citation
    4. Inserting a second citation
    5. Inserting a second bibliography
    Two things here:

1. You should usually only insert one bibliography per document - it will contain all the entries for that document. You do not need one bibliography per entry.
    2. The bibliography is dynamic i.e. it is automatically generated from the citations in the document. It is perfectly expected (and desirable) behaviour for a bibliography entry to disappear if you delete the citation. It only disappears on adding the second citation since entering the second citation refreshes the bibliography. It would also disappear if you clicked the "zotero refresh" button
    If you need a bibliography entry without an accompanying citation you should use the "edit bibliography" button after inserting the bibliography. If you use this method the entry should stay put.

Also, which citation style are you using?
  • Thanks, I am beginning to see how it works. I need to make a list of books and websites, some of which are cited in the document as references and others which are not. I am using the Harvard Educational Review dev. style.
  • Ok, that's fine - was just wondering if you were using a footnote style (as I would be a bit out of my depth with those), but it's author-date, which I know more about.

Glad to hear your getting the hang of it - like I say, use insert citation for cited items, and edit bibliography for uncited items. If you have any more problems don't hesitate to post back here. Hope your project goes well.
  • Try selecting your items in Zotero (inside Firefox), right-click and choose "Create Bibliography from selected items..."
  • Thank you very much for your help