Insert ABNT citation style

Hi folks. It´s my first time in this forum.
I´ve discovered Zotero just a few days ago and already love this program. It does everything I need and surpass Endnote in many things.

But I´m having a few problems.
I need to use ABNT citation style. Does anyone know how can I do it?

The citation must be similar to (Doe et al., 2003)
and the bibliography:
Doe,J. Anonymous systems participate in unknown drinking. Magazines, v.69, n.12, Dec, p.1-75. 2000.

Thanks
  • HI Sergiomarinho, Here is a little bit of info on how Zotero works with bibliographic styles.

Zotero relies on the XML Citation Style Language to create your bibliographic entries. If you have any talents for XML you could take a crack at tweaking your own style. There is talk of a more robust way to edit styles, and indeed some work has been done on this front but it is probably a ways out.

You might also find the links from this conversations useful.
  • So... isn't there any 'noobier' way?
    You see, I haven't heard of XML untill you mentioned it.

If ABNT becomes available, I think a giant group of researchers will use Zotero.

I've been adervtising Zotero in my lab. Everyone became astonished, but the dificulty of using different citation style was just too big.
    Does anyone know if future versions of Zotero will make it easier for new users to insert their own citation style?
    Thank you everyone.
  • I have an ABNT style for Zotero. If you want, look for my email at the Lattes CV (Iuri Gavronski) and send me an email and I send it to you.
  • Iuri,

Zotero developers were no interrested in make the ABNT style avalable from their repository?

Pedro Brasil
  • Estou também interessado nesse estilo ABNT sem o qual a ferramenta não é funcional para quem trabalha no Brasil.

Me parece entretanto que não adiante se queixar. Quem precisa tem que desenvolver.

Eu não consegui o e-mail do Iuri ...

Alguem esta usando o arquivo dele ou ouro com sucesso?
  • edited March 18, 2009
    @iuri Please feel free to add the ABNT style to the Zotero style repository.
  • @sean,

I really don't know how to do it. The last time I've asked, someone replied with acronyms like CVS and other technologies I don't use.
  • Adding styles to the style repository can indeed be a bit daunting. Could you paste the text of your style on this website: http://gist.github.com/, and mention the link you get on this forum? Then I'll take a look at your style.
  • Would be nice to have the ABNT style!

And it could be a opportunity to correct what I see as a big mistake: "journal article" should be "artigo em publicação periódica" or "artigo em periódico", and not "artigo de diário", which may means "newspaper article" or worse "diary", like "personal diary".

For the clarity's sake (bibtex names -> translated names [ABNT's names]):
    book -> "livro" ["monografia"]
    inbook/incollection -> "parte de livro" ["parte de monografia"];
    journal article -> "artigo em periódico" ["artigo em publicação periódica"];
    newspaper article -> "artigo em jornal" [or "matéria de jornal"];
    magazine article -> "artigo em revista";

The style creator may have some problems, since ABNT style is cryptic. Will be very productive take a look in the work done by the ABNTTex user group.

Thanks.

-----

Será ótimo ter o estilo da ABNT!

E pode ser uma oportunidade para corrigir o que considero um grande engano: "journal article" deveria ser "artigo em publicação periódica" ou "artigo em periódico", e não "artigo de diário", que pode ser compreendido como "newspaper article" (ie. artigo de revista) ou pior "diary", como em "personal diary" (ie. diário íntimo).

[...]

O criador do estilo poderá ter alguns problemas, já que as normas da ABNT são crípticas. Será muito produtivo dar uma olhada no trabalho realizado pelo grupo de usuários ABNTTex.
  • Hey Guys,

Someone from DCI - a Departament from Federal University of São Carlos made a ABNT style for Zotero. Do the download in:

http://www.dci.ufscar.br/documentos/ferramentas/arquivo-de-estilo-zotero-para-formato-abnt/view

It's easy.

Bye
  • Oi Pessoal.

Eu fiz uma pequena adaptação do estilo feito pelo Iuri para adequar o proposto para ABNT para as especificações da Universidade Federal do Paraná. Se tiverem dúvidas, comentários ou sugestões, por favor me enviem.

Disponível em:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3009615/ABNT_UFPR.csl

Att,

Eduardo Bettoni
    webtur arroba ufpr.br
  • I have validated the style and added it to the repository, since it seems to be in high demand.
    One thing came up in validation: You can't write < and > in a style. Instead use the xml/html code for less than and greater than, which is
    & lt; and & gt;
    respectively (without the space after the ampersand)
    thanks for contributing.
  • edited August 12, 2010
    Olá pra todos,

Tenho uma atualização para o estilo ABNT - Universidade Federal do Paraná
    - Correção da Referência de Livros;
    - Referência de websites;

http://www.zotero.org/styles
    Associação Brasileira de Normas Técnicas (ABNT) - UFPR

Ainda tem muito caminho para deixar o estilo redondinho, mas já está rodando bem com: livros, artigos de periódico, apresentações de eventos e páginas web.
    -*-*-*-*-

Hello @adamsmith,
    Please, could you help me checking this upgrade of ABNT + UFPR citation style and update it at the Repository?
    About your last comment (< and > in styles), i tryed to use the xml code but Zotero returned: Not a valid Citation Syle (in installation)... I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions?
    Thank you!
  • hey - I'd be happy to do that - not sure what happened in the installation, using the xml should work (and does for me).

One quick question, though - Iuri has agreed to license his style
    under the Creative Commons Attribute-Share Alike license
    http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/
    Would that be OK for you, too? I'd just add that to the info section.
    I'd also suggest adding your name as a Contributor - should I just put Edu Bettoni?
  • edited August 9, 2010
    Hello @adamsmith,

Thank you for all. I'll try to do this on next "release".
    Ok about CC.
    It's a good idea to include me as a Contributor... Tks!
    Please, use Eduardo Bettoni
    webtur @ ufpr dot br

There is another point. This style is a variation of ABNT Brasil (Brazilian Technical Standards Association), applied in UFPR (Federal University of Parana).

What's the best name to use in Zotero Style Repository? Is it possible to change? I think ABNT - UFPR is nonstandard...

Brazilian Technical Standards Association (ABNT) - UFPR or

Could you help with this, too? Thank you!
  • style is renamed as
    and committed. Thanks
  • Hi all,

I've been searching and reading everywhere about ABNT style. Unfortunately, the style put available in the official zotero list is not official, but an adaptation to attend specific needs of a specific University (as the author kindly notified).
    I would like to know if anyone has already followed exactly what ABNT defines in its guide n. 10520 and 6023 to create a style?
    I used style generator in an attempt to follow official ABNT, but off course it is not complete. Since the majority of scientific community has to follow this norms, it would be nice if Zotero community could put the official format available for all.
    I do have a PDF of official ABNT guide style if someone more skilled than me would like to make an adaptation.

best,

Soraya Guimarães
  • Olá a todos,

Eu já procurei e li todos os postos sobre o estilo ABNT. Infelizmente, o estilo que está publicado na lista oficial de estilos do Zotero não é óficial, mas uma adatpação feita para atender às necessidades especificas de uma universidade (como o autor gentilmente adverte).
    Eu gostaria de saber se alguém já tentou seguir exatamente o que determina a ABNT nas normas 10520 e 6023 para criar um estilo?
    Eu usei o style generator pra tentar criar seguindo as normas, mas é claro que minha versão não é completa. Já que a grande maioria da comunidade científica tem que seguir a norma oficial, seria legal se a comunidade Zotero pudesse disponibilizar o formato oficial para todos. Eu tenho o pdf das normas se alguém mais experiente quiser fazer a adaptação.

abs,

Soraya Guimarães
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/requesting_styles
    maybe Edu would be willing to adapt his UFPR style?