Nota Bene/Ibidem import-export compatibility

I use Nota Bene and Ibidem, and plan to continue using them for writing, rather than using Word. I am wondering if there are any plans to support import-export from Nota Bene's ibidem. I'll bet there are other Nota Bene users who would be very grateful for some degree of support between zotero and Nota Bene, as the two programs are strong in different ways.

Thanks,
Kye
  • Kye,

I'm considering purchasing Nota Bene, but I can't find any reliable reviews. Would you mind discussing the features you find particularly useful and in particular the note-taking functions you use?

Thanks,

PiD
  • Hello PiD,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question--have been ill.

I especially like Nota Bene + Ibidem for notetaking. (Ibidem is the analogue to Zotero--it's the program which handles your bibliographies.). For each entry in the bibliography, one can have a notetaking file. The notetaking file is a regular NB file with the bibliographical information stamped at the top of it. When I'm taking notes I have my NB file for that piece of literature open; I enter any quotes or thoughts I have as I go. It's effortless to enter the page number of a quote when using the notetaking file; all I need do is press alt-i, and then type the page number. The program links the quote to that bibliographic entry, with that page number, ready to cite.

The best part though is Orbis, which lets me search by a particular word or words, and gives me a compact, concordance-style listing of all the places where that word appears. This can be in my notetaking files and/or my own writing. This is why I bought NB, and why I will continue to use it. There's nothing else like it, as far as I know.

Orbis is not perfect; I would like to be able to zoom into the original file at a particular point that I see in a search but it doesn't have that capability. But other than that little complaint, I'm happy.

Hope this helps...

...Kye
  • Nota Bene Reviews:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=nota+bene+reviews

Nota Bene is the only fully integrated academic text processing environment. It has the major citation formats built in, can manage footnotes, endnotes, text flow in different directions, ancient languages (in Lingua Workstation). See http://notabene.com.

The Zotero team should recognize that NB is a unique contribution to scholarship and work with NB's owners to bring its code up to date.

Both products need to recognize that the terbyte desktop is almost here. Users need powerful, convenient tools capable of managing many gigabytes of text.
  • The Zotero team should recognize that NB is a unique contribution to scholarship and work with NB's owners to bring its code up to date.
    NotaBene is proprietary software that uses closed, proprietary formats. It's not really possible for people outside of the company that owns the code to work on it in any way.

Zotero can't "work with" NotaBene, for the same reasons that it can't "work with" Internet Explorer:
    http://www.zotero.org/documentation/frequently_asked_questions#will_i_be_able_to_use_zotero_with_internet_explorer_or_some_other_browser