How to deploy Zotero plugins to network computers?

Hello, I'm having a problem with deployment of Zotero to my whole network computers. The Zotero addon for firefox is working fine with mass deployment by copying the "zotero@chnm.gmu.edu" folder and put it into the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions. But the main issue is not Zotero 2.0.2, the problem is with either WinWord Integration plugin and OpenOffice Integration. Whereas I used to be able to do a network deployment in previous version of Zotero 1.0x and Integrations (.exe and .oxt) with the older version of Firefox.

Can anyone enlight me with some solution on how to do a network deployment?
If I do a network deployment now, Zotero WinWord Integration, Firefox 3.6 will spit out "Integrates Zotero with Microsoft Word for Windows, Not Compatible with Firefox 3.6" in the Add-ons area.

I've spent many hours trying to reverse the engineer of this addon and I have found no solution to it.

Please help!
  • First, Zotero WinWord Integration is certainly compatible with Zotero 3.6, so I'm not sure why you'd be getting that if you're using the most recent version. That's something you'll have to figure out, though, since the plugins are compatible.

But there are still .dot and .oxt files—they just get installed by the integration plugins (which are also required). If you want to install those manually, you can find them in the 'install' directory within their respective extension directories in the Firefox profile directory. You'd then have to set certain prefs in Firefox to prevent the integration plugins from repeating the installations—search for "integration" in about:config.
  • Yes it is compatible but if I drag the WinWord folder out of

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ah2znaoq.default\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org"

to: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org"

the Firefox will say that the extension is not compatible with the firefox 3.6.

I want to do an all user zotero addin for all MS office and OpenOffice users. Currently if I installing it manually per profile then it will work but if I do the zotero folder copy into the root of FireFox folder to make it load into everyone profile then it won't work.

I want to make it work for every machines in my network, currently about 100 of them. And I do not want to go and install on every machine manually. I rather do a script to copy the zotero folder into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" instead.

This is how I would like to deploy Zotero.

Is there a way to do a mass deployment by using script?
  • if I drag the WinWord folder out of [...] the Firefox will say that the extension is not compatible with the firefox 3.6.
    OK, well, like I said, you'll have to figure out why that is, since it's not a Zotero issue.

Try the Firefox support forums.
  • There were some changes in Firefox 3.6 that (I believe) barred third-party access to the global 'components' directory, and the new plugins do have "components' directories, so that might be related to your problem.

We've never tested Zotero with global installations, though.
  • Could you make a global installation version as well? This would be very handy for School and University.
  • We make a Firefox extension. How to get that working in a global installation is a Firefox issue, not a Zotero one.
  • edited April 16, 2010
    *UPDATE: I completely missed a post that Dan had written suggesting what the problem might be and suggesting the Firefox forums might have more info. This is exactly the response I was hoping to see and what follows really is my own mistake:

Dan said: "We make a Firefox extension. How to get that working in a global installation is a Firefox issue, not a Zotero one."

We're also trying to deploy Zotero with the Word integration at our institution (about 700 staff and public access computers).

I understand what you are saying, Dan, but if Zotero wants to compete in an academic environment then I would think that supporting those that want to deploy its product to the managed computers in that environment would be a priority. Even if technically it's Firefox's problem, I 'm not sure they are going to devote many resources to solving it.

Currently, if a patron wants to use one of our public computers to write a paper there is one working citation manager solution on them: Refworks/Write-n-Cite. We're trying to give them choice and provide them with the Zotero option, but if it doesn't integrate with the word processors they are not going to use it.

And that would be a shame.

When I read your response above, I thought, "If Zotero doesn't care if it's service won't be available to those using our managed computers, then why should we?"

-Mike

*Disclaimer: I speak for me and not for my department, libraries, or institution.
  • I think you misunderstand what Dan is saying - it's not about "not caring", it's about "not being responsible for" - Zotero has a couple of developers and a small support community. Mozilla/Firefox has several hundred developers and a huge support community.
    If an issue is not Zotero specific, but rather Firefox related - i.e. how can I install a FF add-on on a global network? - it's much more likely to be solvable at the FF level - and you're much more likely to get an answer on their forums.

Also, your set-up is the exception and not the norm. All academic institutions I know work with roaming profiles, for which Zotero (and FF extensions more generally) are great.

and as for:
    "If Zotero doesn't care if it's service won't be available to those using our managed computers, then why should we?"
    because you'll be providing your users with high-quality software at no financial cost to your institution, which they will be able to use free of charge at home and after graduating? It's not like you'd be paying Zotero thousands of dollars for a campus license...
  • Don't get me wrong. I think Zotero is wonderful and have been recommending it to everyone. I want to provide it to our patrons.

Sorry, I conflated the original poster's problem with a different problem we're having. To clarify, we're not having the exact problem that the original poster is having. One of my colleagues came across this thread while trying to resolve a different problem with the Word plugin, and he pointed it out to me and our coworkers.

We all had the same reaction to the dismissal of the original poster's request for help: It was disheartening. I went from a Zotero evangelist to, well, something less, when I read that. We're still going to try to make things work for our staff and patrons, but my enthusiasm for it died a little.
  • edited April 16, 2010
    We all had the same reaction to the dismissal of the original poster's request for help: It was disheartening. I went from a Zotero evangelist to, well, something less, when I read that. We're still going to try to make things work for our staff and patrons, but my enthusiasm for it died a little.
    but that's the part I don't get - it's not a dismissal, it's telling the person a better place to find a solution.
    To exaggerate a little, would you also feel disheartened if someone's monitor flickered and Dan suggested that he get in touch with the manufacturer instead of offering to come by that person's place to fix it?
    What exactly would you have expected here?

You also just assume that the problem wouldn't actually be solved on the FF forums. Why? Have you tried?
  • Michael: adamsmith's responses are about as clear as any could be, so I'll just reiterate: this has nothing to do with caring or not caring. Zotero developers, along with community members such as adamsmith, answer dozens of posts in these forums every day. To quote the forum guidelines, "A short response should not be interpreted as anything other than an attempt to solve the issue or solicit additional information in an efficient manner." We try to help people resolve their issues as quickly as possible, and we're saying that, in this case, the quickest way to get an answer is to seek support from the Mozilla community. It doesn't serve anybody for us to spend time trying to help resolve issues that aren't specific to Zotero, that have nothing to do with Zotero code, and that a much larger community can help resolve.

Remember, too, that Zotero is a community effort. If there are particular steps to get Zotero working in a particular managed environment—even if those steps are specific to Firefox and not Zotero—people are welcome to document them on the wiki, and we'll happily link to that instead of directing people to Mozilla. But for now, that's your best bet.
  • Like I said, this isn't the exact problem we're having. So, no I haven't tried the FF forums.

I missed the post where he suggested going to the FF forums, so I feel a little bit better (and a little sheepish).

Here's what I think is an analogy that's a little more reasonable: I have some program "Y" that I provide for my patrons on machines running Windows XP. I'm developing a Windows 7 image for the public computers and because of a change in the way Win7 handles permissions program "Y" doesn't work right anymore. I contact the support for program "Y" and they say, "That's a Windows problem, call Microsoft." What I'd hope for when I called program "Y" support would be a response like, "Hmmm... yes, it looks like they've made a change that causes a problem. And although it's not really my problem to fix, I'll at least see if I can come up with a work-around so you can continue to use our program 'Y.'"

Dan, sorry for my post, I didn't read the thread carefully enough.
  • Hi Dan,

I just saw your last post.

Again, sorry. I missed one of your posts which had the response in it that I was hoping to see. I have no complaints with the way you handled this. Sorry to have taken up your time.

-Mike