Please confirm this method is correct

I want to be sure that I am backing up my sqlite an sqlite.bak files correctly. I went into Preferences-->Advanced-->Show Data Directory and saved the two sqlite files to the desktop. Then I closed Firefox. Then I copied the files from the desktop to my external drive. The two files show as being located in the external drive. That was the only way I could think of to follow safely my interpretation of the two instructions to save the files to an external drive and to close Firefox before doing so.

If this is correct, could you provide guidance to the inexperienced user (of computers as well as of Zotero), by spelling out how to save files that one finds when Firefox is open, while closing Firefox before doing so. It might have been ok for me to save the files straight to the external drive, but I was not sure.

Sidney
  • http://zotero.org/support/zotero_data#how_do_i_back_up_my_zotero_library

As the instructions say, you should copy your entire Zotero data directory, and you should copy it with Firefox closed. Locate the data directory using the instructions in that section, close Firefox, and then copy the data directory.

Copying files to external drives is beyond the scope of what we can provide support for.
  • I hit Control-C on each of the 2 squlite files, which I could only come in contact with when Firefox was open. Then I closed Firefox. Then I went to Desktop and hit Control-V. They appeared on the desktop. I just want to make sure that, by doing these steps, I got the whole Zotero data directory.

My problem is with the two instructions: close Firefox and then copy the data directory. How can you copy it when Firefox is closed, if you can only see it to copy it when Firefox is open? To me, that's the problem with the instructions. I think I figured out what to do, but wanted to make sure.
  • Sidney, we have provided ample and thorough support. I'm sorry, but I can't let you take up any more of our developers' time. Please feel free to share the instructions linked by Dan Stillman above with a knowledgeable computer user who may be able to assist you.
This discussion has been closed.