Ignore selected tag

With the usual "sorry if this has been raised, but I couldn't find it" disclaimer...

I'd like to suggest an "ignore selected tag" feature for Zotero which would allow exclusion of all items with a particular tag - essentially this would add the equivalent of a Boolean search "not" capability (i.e. items tagged "A" and "B" and "C" and "not D").

In practice, I'm thinking that one would use this feature to refine a list of selected references - so, one would select "A" then "B" then "C" and then, reviewing the selected items, would decide one wanted to omit the few items tagged "D".

At this stage, one would right click "D" where alongside the current drop down menu items there would be an additional "Ignore this tag" selection. Click this and 'voila' one has a list of items tagged "A and B and C and not-D"

And one final suggestion: the ignored tag would be highlighted exactly as per selected tags, but with an alternate colour (pink? red?) to show it is an ignored rather than selected tag.

Thanks for your consideration.
  • It's not the smoothest solution but this can already be achieved using an advanced search i.e. tag -> is not -> D in the advanced search pane.

I agree that it might be nice to have this functionality in the tag selector, but given the advanced search solution I wouldn't say it's essential (IMO).
  • Thanks for taking the trouble to post this bit of info - I wasn't aware of this capability (I obviously need to read up on the advance search features!). Not, as you say, the smoothest solution, but good to know about nonetheless.