Word 2004; mac OS X; crash

After working with Zotero 1.0 for few months now, I have encountered a problem.

Whenever I try to add a new footnote, Word crashes.
I tried also new documents, and I encountered the same problem.

Does anyone encountered a similar problem?
  • Define "crash".
  • there was a problem with the document. I erased the references and rentered them. Thanks and sorry for the false alarm
  • Well, my word is crashing, meaning I get the twirling color ball in Mac Word 2004. This morning, I tried to install Zotero (1.0) for the first time and now I can't open any Word documents. I've tried to uninstall Zotero, got rid of the Zotero.dot, and still, I can't open Word. Help?!?
  • tbarone: Have you restarted your computer? If you removed Zotero.dot, this isn't related to Zotero. Having Zotero in Firefox has no effect on Word.
  • I have restarted it. Strangely, I was having no problems with Word until I installed Zotero. It's a drag.
  • The Zotero Firefox extension and the Zotero Word plugin are separate things. There's no way for the former to have any effect whatsoever on Word. The latter, of course, can, if it's installed, though of course it shouldn't cause any problems unless you installed it incorrectly or your Word installation is corrupted. How/where did you install Zotero.dot? Do you see Zotero.dot listed in Tools->Templates and Add-ins? What happens, exactly, when you try to open documents?

You may need to take this to a Word support forum, since this is a Word issue, and, if you removed Zotero.dot, there's probably not much else we could tell you.
  • I initially had installed Zotero 2.0 and downloaded the add-on for Word, but then found out that it's incompatible with Word 2004 for Mac so I uninstalled 2.0 and installed 1.0.
    When I try to open documents in Word, the program doesn't fully open and I get the spinning color wheel.
  • You didn't answer one of my questions: Do you see Zotero.dot listed in Tools->Templates and Add-ins?
  • Hi Dan,
    I have been experiencing a problem akin to this. I am using a Mac 10.5.8 and have installed both Word 2004 and 2008. I am using zotero 1.0 with Word 2004.

When I open Word 2004 and then try to open a file, the program freezes. I have to force quit. However, if I open a document with Word 2004, this does not happen and zotero works fine. The problem with Word 2004 freezing has only occurred when I had zotero installed.

I don't have a "Tools" folder associated with Word 2004, only an "Additional Tools" folder, which does not contain zotero.dot. Instead, zotero.dot is under Office/Start up/Word.
  • Evelyn: "Tools" refers to a menu in Word. But Zotero 1.0 and the associated plugins are no longer supported. Upgrade to Zotero 2.0 if you want support.
This discussion has been closed.