Installing a server?

Hi,

Is it possible to install my own zotero server? I can only find information about clients.

Cheers,

-Pauline.
  • Not yet. The Zotero team has indicated that they will eventually release the server code, but that hasn't happened yet.

My uninformed, non-team-member guess is that they want to make sure that the client-server protocol is cleaned up and stable before opening the floodgates. It would be hard to make significant changes to the protocol once institutions start installing their own Zotero servers.
  • Ah, ok. Thanks for the impressively quick response :)

So... the follow on question would is... Would this protocol will be published?
  • Well, releasing the code is tantamount to publishing the protocol. For that matter, the current client code is likely sufficient to work out the protocol, if you care to try.
  • Not yet. The Zotero team has indicated that they will eventually release the server code, but that hasn't happened yet.
    I guess (hope?) it should happen soon, since it was mentioned here that We[the development team]'re planning to release the code once 2.0 is final. And as far as I know, 2.0 is final. Looking forward to it!
  • It would be hard to make significant changes to the protocol once institutions start installing their own Zotero servers.
    I'm not a developer either, but I'd like to point out that this is not a problem as long as server and client release cycles are synchronized.

What would be a problem is that the client update process is quasi-automatic and the server's would not be, but anyone running their own server would probably want to manage client updates themselves anyhow.