Error while syncing

Hello,

I updated with the zotero 2.0 version (I used the beta versions before), and I now have an error while syncing : Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.lastModifiedTime].
I reported it (error #1128021016).
Any idea ?
  • Things to try, in order:

1) Restart your computer.

2) Make sure no files in the 'storage' directory inside your Zotero data directory are marked read-only. If you provide a Debug ID we could tell you the name of the folder in 'storage'.

3) Disable any anti-virus/security software you have installed.
  • Same problem here. It's been happening on an off for several days. I followed the instructions above but it's still happening.

Debug ID is D1490492074

Any thoughts? (Apologies for hijacking the thread; I can start a new one if necessary).
  • Quick update: I reset the file sync history, and now I seem to be syncing smoothly and with no issues.
  • We haven't yet been able to reproduce this, but we're looking into it.
  • OK, well, the way I can reproduce this is by setting a file (on Windows) to "Read-only". If you're experiencing this, generate debug output for a sync, click View in the Advanced pane, and search the debug output for "nsIFile.lastModifiedTime". You should see a file path directly above. Locate that file in your Zotero data directory in Explorer and check if the file is marked "Read-only" (via right-click, Properties), and, if so, try removing the read-only attribute. It'd also be helpful if you could let us know where the file originated, since it seems odd that so many people have read-only files.
  • edited February 23, 2010
    Here is the debug report number : D1054715595
    I found the nsIFile.lastModifiedTime entry, but no path directory...
    I'm trying the other 'things to try', but I needed to paste the report number before restarting the computer !!
  • Neither starting up nor disactivating antivirus worked...
  • phg
    edited February 23, 2010
    Hi!

I had the same problem. Here the way I fixed it:
    Go to the zotero directory and remove read-only point by the directory "storage". after you klick on "OK" you get a new window - here choose all directorys and files. After that it could be possible that you must restart firefox that the sync function will work.

Finally: sorry for my broken english, but I hope I could help you!
  • Thanks, it worked fine ! My whole storage folder was in Read-only mode...
  • Hm, I had the same problem (which went away a few days ago) and now that I checked, I did have some "read-only" files in storage. This happens because I drag a downloaded PDF to Zotero which is already read-only. If Zotero could uncheck the read-only attribute of files when adding, it could make this problem go away :)
  • If Zotero could uncheck the read-only attribute of files when adding, it could make this problem go away
    I don't believe we can do that—the setting wouldn't make much sense if we could—but this isn't actually a new issue. In previous versions this problem just would have manifested itself in a different place and would have had a proper error message that listed the file that couldn't be modified. We'll update the next version to show that message in this case as well and to include the suggestion to check the read-only flag.
  • Windows at least is very liberal with the "read-only" attribute. When trying to overwrite a read-only file, most programs just ask "this is read-only, proceed?". On one hand, files in the storage "belong" to Zotero so it should be able to modify them. However, nothing prevents it from checking the attribute. It could issue a warning when adding a new file that is read-only, to keep the library tidy and avoid the error in the first place.
  • yay - eliminating the read-only files solved my sync problems too. In my case the culprits were two downloaded books from google books, and two .pdfs each from the French CAIRN and Persée databases (but not the other pdfs I have from there, oddly).
  • Windows at least is very liberal with the "read-only" attribute. When trying to overwrite a read-only file, most programs just ask "this is read-only, proceed?".
    OK, well, I'm pretty sure we don't have override ability at our level, at least.
    It could issue a warning when adding a new file that is read-only, to keep the library tidy and avoid the error in the first place.
    I don't think there's any particular need to do that, since this only matters under some somewhat rare sync conditions, and prompting on add seems fairly disruptive. And again, this isn't a new issue—the existing error message just didn't display in the new location this is showing up.

In the latest dev build I've added additional detail to the existing error message and adjusted it to show up for this particular case as well.
  • Just wanna thank anders_royce for providing me with a link to this discussion.
    I wanted to post it in the discussion I started but it got closed before I had a chance to say thanks and he's profile doesn't allow e-mailing.

The thing that did the trick was:
    Preference/Sync/
    the tab "reset"
    "File Syncing"
    check "Reset File Sync History"
    Pus "Reset"

Then it took some time to sync. But now it is working fine.