Spinning sync indicator and no successful sync

Hi, trying to sync using 2.0b7.6. The sync process does not work, and seems to go into a holding pattern, with the sync icon rotating continuously, and roll-over text indicating "Getting updated data from sync server".

I get the same problem if I attempt to sync from the laptop.

I have an error report 649990132 for the following error [JavaScript Error: "document.getElementById("zotfile-usetags") is null" {file: "chrome://zotfile/content/zotfile.js" line: 11}]

Not sure if that is the same problem, however.

Thanks for your help.
  • Here's the error report number from the laptop: 29045075

It gives the same error message, ie., [JavaScript Error: "document.getElementById("zotfile-usetags") is null" {file: "chrome://zotfile/content/zotfile.js" line: 11}]

Thanks again,
    Jon
  • I am having the exact same problem with 2.0RC5 on FireFox3.6 (running on Windows7).

Previously the Sync icon rotated continuously, and roll-over text indicated: Something like: "Upload accepted, waiting for sync server".

After a restart of Firefox I am getting the same thing Jon described above:

Sync icon rotating continuously, and roll-over text indicates: "Getting updated data from sync server".

Any Idea's how to solve this?
  • I'm having the problem woosting is having. I suspect it is a server issue, but I can't be sure.
  • Same problem here. The Sync icon is spinning all the time.

This problem just started today (about one hour ago). I tried deactivating "Sync automatically" option and I restarted Firefox. Obviously the Sync Icon was not spinning when I initiate Zotero again (and when I put the cursor on it, it indicated me that the last Sync was 3 hours ago). When I click on the Sync icon, the problem persists and it rotates continuously.
  • edited February 16, 2010
    Although I could sync with another computer, so the problem seemed client sided, I did not think it was server-sided. However, I did not do anything special and it seemed to have been resolved. Etoile was right after all, I think.

Anyway it seems to work again!
  • I m experiencing the same thing as you all are seeing. It must be a server thing because I am seeing it on both of my computers (Linux and WinXP). I've tried disabling autosync and using several variations of the "Reset" options, but as soon as the system goes into sync mode it never comes out (or, more accurately, it hasn't come out in well over an hour).

This seemed to start right around the time I tried to do a reset "Restore to Server" and now when I login to zotero.org and look at my library there, it contains nothing.
  • same problem here - any suggestions for solutions?
  • Dear Colleagues,

I had the same problem, and what I have done to solve it is to uninstall Firefox 3.6 entirely and then install it again. This also worked when I freshly installed FireFox 3.8.5.
    Hope this help.

Spec: Leopard Snow, Firefox 3.6, Zotero 2.0
  • what I have done to solve it is to uninstall Firefox 3.6 entirely and then install it again
    Don't do this—it has no effect on this issue, which is simply due to a busy data server from people upgrading to 2.0 and beginning to sync.
  • This seemed to start right around the time I tried to do a reset "Restore to Server" and now when I login to zotero.org and look at my library there, it contains nothing.
    When you used "Restore to Server" you erased all your data on the Zotero server and forced Zotero to upload your entire library. Since uploads are prioritized by, among other things, size, this would put your upload request near the end of the queue.
  • > When you used "Restore to Server" you erased all your data on the Zotero
    > server and forced Zotero to upload your entire library. Since uploads are
    > prioritized by, among other things, size, this would put your upload request
    > near the end of the queue.

OK, makes sense. The sync did complete after several more hours. Still, it would probably be a good idea to make it a little more apparent that this is what is happening. Right now it just looks like it's frozen.
  • edited February 21, 2010
    Yes, some other form of feedback would be helpful. When I check my acct on the web site, it still indicates My Library is empty, suggesting the upload wasn't successful, rather than an incomplete sync cycle (using a single computer). Having no evidence of a successful upload and hanging for hours with "Getting uploaded data from sync server" sounds like a failure, so users might keep re-initiating the sync of their entire library.

Update: Eventually my sync of 800 new records did work. Small updates to the library were then processed quickly.
  • Yes, rarebres, that's exactly what I saw and thought: Should I wait, or assume a loss of connection and restart? In zotero the tooltip on the sync symbol says 'Upload accepted - waiting for sync server'. On zotero.org My Library does not show the new folder or any of 30 new references yet, after 30 minutes.
  • > Since uploads are prioritized by, among other things, size, this would put your
    > upload request near the end of the queue.

Seeing as this prioritization, along with actual size of peoples' libraries, can result in literally hours of wondering what's going on, maybe the documentation or knowledge base can give a clue. Like, I don't know, "don't freak if you have to wait 8 hours for the first sync."

I'm still trying to sync an external db and Firefox DID stop responding after about 5 hours.
  • Same issue here. Empty library on server, continously spinning icon, "Upload accepted - waiting for sync server" on mouseover.

Could you explain if and how I can sync to another computer manually, for instance by copying a database file to my laptop? Anything to worry about there?

thanks
  • +1 for indicating that one's request is in a queue. I came here thinking that my sync wasn't going to happen but I read this thread and waited, and it did indeed (it just took a few minutes of seemingly futile icon-spinning before it started).