german citation style

Hi everyone,

I was looking for the general german scientific ciation style(Yes there supposed to be something like this. (Example(german))

Basicly it should be a footnote-style with bio like:
word²

(2) Name, Surname: Title. Place and Year of release, Pg.xxx-yyy

I already tried to find something similar in standard and additional zotero styles but yet no match. If you have an idea, thanks...
  • If I understand correctly, this looks like a Chicago style to me - wouldn't be a perfect match, but a good place to start.
    I gather that you're comfortable modifying csls yourself, so you can start yourself and come here with any questions.
  • You are really everywhere!!! Thanks so far, will try that.
  • Hi there!

I'm also looking for the general german scientific ciation style.
    Any progress so far?
    Is there the possibility to join your approach ruesselmann?

Thanks..
  • Sorry, I was looking for a friend, so I didn´t put too much effort into. Though I still prefer zotero, she found endnote more practicable for her needs and uses it for her puposes

The only way as Adamsmith said would be to modify or write a new style for more info ´bout this look here
  • i really wonder what "the general german scientific citation style" looks like :-)
    ....any hints?
    btw, at the styles page, you should find some styles (also some more or less german variants) ... http://www.zotero.org/styles
  • yeah, I was thinking the same.
    One typical German author-date style, for example, is this
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/harvard7de/dev?install=1
    (didn't you actually write that mmoole?)
  • For the german speaking, if you google "deutsche Zitierweise" (i.e. german citation style) theres a lot of output; One example would be this. For the english speaking - can´t find a single article.

BUT, I think you are right and there is no such thing as a general(normed) german citation style. The problem that many people have anyway is that the old professors, specifically of the humanities/arts say there is(and maybe was) an want exactly that(which is mostly their own style). Reflecting that, most of the web-sources have different styles in the footnotes/endnotes.

However there is one common thing, the citing is done numeric with citing of the source as footnotes, and additionaly the sources as endnotes alltogether (as I understood)

(source)
    „Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten ist keine Hexerei.“ 1

Footnote:
    1 Vgl. Meier, Hans und Kaiser, Stefan: Was ist wissenschaftliches Arbeiten? Studium heute, 20 (2002) 4, S. 34-50, hier S. 38.

„Die meisten Studierenden wissen nicht, wie sie an einen Text herangehen sollen, geschweige denn, wie sie selbst eine wissenschaftliche Arbeit verfassen sollen.“ 2

Footnote
    2 Vgl. Meier, H. u.a., a.a.O., S. 40ff.
  • edited February 18, 2010
    (jup, i did the harvard7de thing)
    so we can distiguish between
    * citation and
    * bibliography.

Citation: this should be possible with styles that use footnotes - much of them have "Note with Bibliography" in their name, like Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography), Law generic style .de (Note with Bibliography), or Modern Humanities Research Association (Note with Bibliography).
    I think the last one is quite close...?

Bibliography:
    * if it should accumulate all the footnotes again as endnotes (did you mean that?), it would look like
    1 Meier, Hans und Kaiser, Stefan: Was ist wissenschaftliches Arbeiten? Studium heute, 20 (2002) 4, S. 34-50, hier S. 38.
    2 Meier, H. u.a., a.a.O., S. 40ff.
    etc... i dont know if that makes sense....

or it could be just like
    Meier, Hans und Kaiser, Stefan: Was ist wissenschaftliches Arbeiten? Studium heute, 20 (2002) 4, S. 34-50
    VanGundy, Arthur B., 101 activities for teaching creativity and problem solving (San Francisco: Pfeiffer, 2005)
    etc... this should also be possible with the the styles mentioned above and with other ones, too....

As far as i understand, it's about the details in both cases, like commas, colons, () , spaces, etc..., since Professors usually cannot be convinced of ibid if they prefer ebd. or a.a.O. and the like (nevertheless its a good idea to try it.!..). But if you found a style that comes really close, then you could look into the .csl file and change ebd. to a.a.O. etc... so did you find styles that come close to what you need?
  • edited February 19, 2010
    Yeah thanks thats really close. I think with the Modern Humanities Research Association (Note with Bibliography) -which is a default style by the way for new readers of the topic- , that would be pretty much it, just the adjustments for individual professors´ tastes and you have what you need.

The bibliography still puzzles me a bit, how do you accumulate the footnotes in the end? I paste it but it won´t be numbered (that been a different style?)

Again thanks for all the thinking and helping
  • edited February 19, 2010
    Thats nice that even one of the built-in styles comes close!

For accumulating footnotes as endnotes: well, i think this is not possible with zotero at the moment (i can be wrong), and i doubt the sense of doing this, since you would end up with some sources shown multiple times :-)

On the other hand this could be possible with your word processor - if you use openoffice/Staroffice/Neooffice:
    * insert index - user defined - create from style: footnote / Entries: delete tabs and # : this gives a "list" of the complete footnotes - but without the numbers in front of them.
    * edit paragraph style for this index (usually "User Index 1") to be numbered, for example with "List 1" and you get the numbers. They should be exactly the same since the footnotes are listed on after the other in their order. Be sure to "update all" to get refreshed results in the index.

##edit: oops, you can also simply use the style "... without Bibliography" - then you get the Footnotes in the Bibliography - much easier!! :-))

greetings
    m
  • edited November 12, 2010
    The german standard (at least for Philosophy) is the Chicago style (full note with bibliography). This means that the first quotation of a work in a Text should include the full note. For ex.:

P. Enepikides, “Der Briefwechsel des Mystikers Nikolaos Kabasilas, kommentierte Textausgabe”, Byzantinische Zeitschrift 46 /itallic/ (1953), pp. 214-215.

Every next quotation of the same work should include 1) the name of the author, 2) the name of the work and 3) the quoted pages. For ex.:

P. Enepikides, “Der Briefwechsel des Mystikers Nikolaos Kabasilas, kommentierte Textausgabe”, pp. 214-215.

The biggest problem with Chicago is the language of the footnotes (using "and" for multiple authors, "2nd ed." for edition etc...). Is it possible to make a german format on the basis of the chicago style, but:
    1) with international latin terms (like in Harvard 7);
    2) with "p." and "pp." before a page number and "," before that (instead of ":" as in Chicago);
    3) with "," after the quotation mark when quoting from a journal article (in Chicago is "...kommentierte Textausgabe,” and it should be "...kommentierte Textausgabe”,)
    4) with the surname on the first place and the name on the second, separated with a coma in the bibliography (Enepikides, P., “Der Briefwechsel...")?
  • Someone there...?
  • Until someone answers, here is what I've found on the net: http://podolak.net/de/studium-russlandseiten/studienblog/105-zotero. This is something closer to what I've described above...
  • One year later...

Option 1. - german browser
    change your browser to firefox german (or the desired language)
    -- citation language style depends on pre-settings of browser language; zotero add-on will be downloaded in german

Option 2. - via about:config

https://blog.bsce.uni.lu/support/zotero/switching-bibliography-language/

1. Open Firefox and type “about:config” into the address bar.

2. Read the Warning and proceed by clicking on “I’ll be careful, I promise”. You see a list of parameters that determine the behavior of your browser.

3. Search for the filter “extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale”

4. Make a right mouse click onto the setting under “Preference Name” and click “Modify”

5. Type in the code for the language in which you want to have your citations and bibliography. Use “de-DE” for German or “fr-FR” for French. The chrome manifest contains many more codes to choose from. Capitalization of the letters as shown matters!

6. Click “OK”.

7. Restart Firefox. Your citations and bibliographies should now be displayed in these languages, e.g. “S.” for “pp.” in German. Book titles etc. still appear in the language that you entered them. It is just the fillers that are changed.

8. If you had already created a bibliography, you may need to refresh it for the changes to take effect.

---
    FH Vorarlberg also offers a German cite style you can download here:
    http://www.fhv.at/studium/lehre/learningsupport/weiterbildung/wissenschaftlich-arbeiten-mit-zotero/fhv-citation-style-1-3.csl

example
    Rizzoli, Lina; Rizzoli, Lina (2008): „Bedeutung und Intentionales Bewusstsein.“ In: Erkenntnis und Reduktion. Springer Netherlands, S. 77-114.
  • edited October 12, 2011
    Is the FH Vorarlberg style used university-wide? If it is of general interest, we can also host the CSL style at www.zotero.org/styles.
  • The FHV developed their style in accordance with their guide for academic research (Leitfaden wissenschaftliches Arbeiten), which is based on various DIN-norms. Insofar one should be able to use it university-wide.

I'm sure the person in charge of eLearning and Zotero workshops knows more details:

Dipl.-Päd. Mag. (FH) Frank Weber
    T +43 (0)5572 792 1009
    F +43 (0)5572 792 9500
    frank.weber@fhv.at

Link to their workshop:
    http://www.fhv.at/studium/lehre/learningsupport/weiterbildung/wissenschaftlich-arbeiten-mit-zotero
  • hey guys

so is there any news abouth the german citation style?

my school is not clear about their preferred citation style. but it looks like the german one. it goes:

Die Benutzung von Internetquellen als Basis für den theoretischen Teil der Arbeit ist
    nicht sehr sinnvoll, da nicht immer garantiert werden kann, dass die ausgewählte
    Quelle zitierwürdig ist.²

at the end of the page:

² vgl. Sachs Sybille / Hauser Andrea 2002, S.61

and the bibliography:

books:

Sachs Sybille/Hauser Andrea (2002), Zitierregeln, Zürich.

journals:

Sachs Sybille/Hauser Andrea (2002), Zitierregeln, in: Huber Anna/Bauer Ursula
    (Hrsg.): Wie schreibe ich eine Thesis?, Zürich, S. 15-28.

do you happen to know this style?
    thank you very much for some help!
  • There are various German citation styles on the repository, you can find them by searching for "german" - that's all we have at the moment, but yes, it has improved quite a bit since 2011.
  • Thanks a lot.

I think I found what I needed, even thou it's not 100%. Maybe I figure out how to edit it myself.

Time to get some work done ;-)
  • see here for editing styles: http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • meine lieben Damen und Herren,
    Dear Ladies and Gentleman,

there is a specific German DIN on citation which was not terribly clear- rather uncharacteristic- being: DIN 1505 of 1984.
    This has been formally updated to meet with ISO DIN ISO 690:2010.
    This information was made available from Ms Jana Behrendt (I assume such a learned person is using the proper UK date format 02/11/2020 format: everyone knows what month it is, but no one knows the date!) and Professorin Dr. Jutta Bertram vom HS-Hannau's publication:
    (https://www.b-i-t-online.de/heft/2019-03-fachbeitrag-bertram.pdf)
    I hope this is of use to you all.

and if you see a Dackel (dachshund)- it is mandatory you must pat it and give it treats!
    Und wenn man einen Dackel trifft, ist es Pflicht, ihn zu streicheln und ihm Leckerchen zu geben!

my best wishes to you all in your academic endeavours
    Meine besten Wünsche an alle für Ihre akademischen Bemühungen

Auf Weidersehen, meine lieben!