Alphabetizing issue

I'm using 2.0cr5 with Word and the APSA style. Every now and then, mid-text references and the bibliography are alphabetized without there being a need for it. I know for sure that there's only one entry with, say, Smith 2010 in my library, and yet it shows up as (Smith 2010a) and Smith (2010b). This happens with more than one citation, though not with all of them, and it happens with both fields and bookmarks. I've installed the new plugin, so that should not be a problem. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks
  • What happens in the bibliography? Do the 2010a and 2010b references appear with identical information?
  • edited February 17, 2010
    Yes, they do.

Well, one 2010a and one 2010b, but otherwise they're identical.
  • Just to clarify, are there two separate entries in the bibliography, one for Smith 2010a, and another for Smith 2010b? Or only one entry? If there is only one entry, what is given as its year in the bibliography (does it have an alphabetic suffix?)?
  • There are two entries in the bibliography, 2010a and 2010b. Apart from the suffix, everything else in the entry is identical.
  • Just to be sure, have you tried a Zotero refresh for the document?

Also, is this specifically a problem with the APSA style? Have you tried changing the style for the document and see if the problem still occurs?
  • That suggests that there are two items in your database with identical content.
  • James - Yes, I've tried doing a refresh and applying another style, and then tried another refresh. None of that solved the problem, I'm afraid.
    fbennet - That was my first thought, too. When searching the database for identical entries, the ones that cause trouble don't show up. edit: they don't show up twice, that is.
    So are you saying the problem is still there when you use other styles or that it reappears when you return to the APSA style?

If you are on a PC using MS Word (I don't know about other operating systems & word processors) you can use Alt+F9 to see the actual codes that Zotero is using. The final string of letters and numbers should be identical. If not, you do have more than one item in your database. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to see these.
  • James - it seems there are doubles entries in the database after all. Alt+F9 solved that. Thanks! Now I'll just have to figure out why I can't see that there are, when browsing the library...
  • Here's the solution to the puzzle: some of the citations were from the Trash folder of my library. Emptying that folder and refereshing the document solved it.

Thanks for your help!
  • Could they be in 'Trash'? These would still be in your database until the trash was emptied. Also, are you looking in your whole library rather than in a particular collection?
  • Oh, you got there just before me...