APA style for edited book

I tried to use the "book section" item to reference an edited book. However, this item type does not generate a place to add the book's editors names. Is there another item type (i.e. edited book) that I'm missing? How can I get a correct APA edited book reference?
  • edited February 16, 2010
    I'm not clear exactly what you mean. Apologies if your question is not what I've understood, because this answer is aimed at a Zotero beginner.

If you are trying to reference one chapter in a edited book you should select book section. Once you've added the author of the chapter, click on the + to the right of the name. Then click on the new 'Author' label and you'll get a drop down menu allowing you to select 'Editor'. For 'book section', editor refers to the editor of the book. The author and editor can have the same name.

If you are trying to reference an entire edited book, then you should select 'book'. Then click on the 'Author' label and you'll get a drop down menu allowing you to select 'Editor'.

To get an APA style bibliographic reference, you can select this as your default style in preferences and then just drag the item into a document in Word or Open Office. Alternatively use the plug-in for Word or Open Office
  • James and Dan, Thanks! I am a beginner and your comments were right on target. Lesson learned.