Problem installing Word plug-in

I am having problems installing the Word plug-in. My problem is EXACTLY the same as one posted by 'walshf' on another discussion forum ('integration with Word') last March but that post never received a response. So here I am posting it again hoping for an answer!:

I still cannot get the Word integration feature to install & operate with Word 2003 under XP Pro with service pack 2. Due to XP hiding certain directory paths, I have been having trouble with the add-in Word Template. The directory path given in the instructions doesn't seem to exist ( or is hidden and not easy to find or store into ). I finally somehow got the Word toolbar to show the three Zotero icons, but when I try to click on any Zotero icon in the Word toolbar, the following message appears. "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro settings". I used the help & tried to both attach and add the the Zotero template, which I have unzipped on the desktop. Earlier I had tried to put a copy into the one "startup" folder that I could find within the "Office11" folder.

Any help will be appreciated! Perhaps better instructions to help find the proper directory, or a more automatic installer for the template.
  • You can find the correct directory by opening Word 2003, opening the options menu (Tools>Options). Under 'File locations'-tab you find the Startup directory. This is the location where you should put the Zotero.dot file.

Additionally, you might want to check whether the settings for macros are correct:
    The security level for using macros can be checked (and lowered if necessary) by looking in 'Tools>Macro>Security...'.
    Finally, you could check whether the Zotero plugin is indeed loaded via 'Tools>Templates and Addins' where the Zotero plugin should be checked.
  • Thanks for your help. I did indeed find the startup file under 'file locations' . However, the problem is that the entire 'application data' file does not show up at all in windows explorer - even if I check 'show hidden files' under options.

This I believe was the problem that the other post also identified. I'd really appreciate help in how I can get the application data folder to show up!
  • kkahnharris, try this:
    Do what Rintze said to find the correct location for the Zotero template, namely:
    1) "You can find the correct directory by opening Word 2003, opening the options menu (Tools>Options). Under 'File locations'-tab you find the Startup directory. This is the location where you should put the Zotero.dot file."
    2) Now highlight the Startup directory, click "Modify...", press ctrl-c to copy the path to the folder, and hit Cancel then Close out of the Word dialog boxes and exit Word.
    3) Open "My Computer", then ctrl-v paste the path you copied into the address bar and hit Enter. That ought to take you to the correct directory.
    4) Drag the Zotero.dot template you downloaded (NOT the entire .zip file) into the window you opened in step (3).
    5) Run Word.
  • Thanks cartesian for the tip. This didn't work [ctrl-c didn't seem to work for the file location]. However, apparently something else did as the I've now managed to install the pluggin and it's working. I'm not sure what I did - I think I may have installed it in windows as the pluggin appears in Outlook as well - but I'm not that bothered given that it is working.

I would urge Zotero to offer better instructions on installing the pluggin!
  • Better than instructions, we need installers that automate the process. There is a ticket for this.
  • Not only is there a ticket, but a working attempt has been submitted to the zotero-dev Google group. It's in need of testers. See both the file in the "Files" section, and the author's introductory post.
  • I wrote the Windows installer for the Word plug-in that can be downloaded from the Zotero-dev Google group:
    http://zotero-dev.googlegroups.com/web/ZoteroWordPluginInstaller0.4.zip

Version 0.4 contains the most recent version of the Word plugin (1.0a3) and should support Windows 2000, XP and Vista and Microsoft Word 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2007. So far, I have only tested the installer on XP with Word 2003 and 2007.

The installer is safe to test. The worst that can happen is that the plug-in (the file Zotero.dot) is placed a wrong folder so that Microsoft Word won't find it. The installer doesn't enter anything into the registry and also doesn't include a uninstaller (you can uninstall the plug-in manually by deleting the Zotero.dot-file). Please report any issues either here or in the thread in the Google group:
    http://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev/browse_thread/thread/7cc87b2458f4cc29
  • edited March 17, 2009
    I'm experiencing this exact problem (still) and continue to do so after following troubleshooting recommendations on this thread and some others. Using Word 2007 and tried both "Zotero-Word-Plugin-Installer-1.0b3.exe" and "ZoteroWordPluginInstaller0.4.zip". No dice. The file "Zotero.dot" shows up correctly in the C:\Documents and Settings\Scott\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP folder and I can see it in the Add-ins tab in Word. But every time I start Word or try to insert a citation I get the "The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your security settings..." error.

I so want this thing to work. My only recourse is going back to EndNote which, although unwieldy in terms of information gathering, worked without fail when it comes to inserting and managing citations through Word 2007.

Thanks in advance.
  • edited May 9, 2009
    One additional thing for all people having problems with the word-plugin:

My zotero.dot did work for one year, than suddenly the toolbar disappeared.
    Installing everything new didn't help, so I just copied the zotero.dot additionally to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\STARTUP. Now it works fine again.
    Perhaps you can solve your problems this way too.

And do not forget to set your Tools/Macro/Security to "low".

Greets
  • Where can I find the most recent Word plug-in? When I try to create a bibliography in Word 2007, I get an error message that says the plug-in I have (1.04b) isn't compatible with the Zotero version I'm using (2.0b3).
  • I've want to ask rather to have comments. How can we run zotero bibliography in microsoft word without firefox be on?
  • I am working in an organisation that prevents access to the Startup folder for Word (2003). Whilst this is a bore, because it prevents me from installing Zotero such that it launches with Word, the good news is that I can still use Zotero: after launching Word, I chose Tools: Templates and Add-Ins, directed the application to the location of zotero.dot, and activated this template. On subsequent launches of Word, I've found that the Zotero template is automatically listed - I just have to activate it.
  • cohen_tom: I think you may also be able to change the Word startup location from the Word preferences, which might get this working on startup. (If you do, Zotero should automatically install into the new directory if you reinstall the Word Add-in from the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences.)

I'm going to close this thread because the problem it first referred to is extremely old and was fixed a while ago. If you run into further issues, start a new discussion.
This discussion has been closed.