Problems with 2.0rc5

I have upgraded to Zotero 2.0rc5 but am having (for the first time with Zotero) some problems. I often get 'script errors' on web page loads that refer to Zotero. I've tried to copy the error text but not been successful - as soon as it happens again, I will resort to pen and paper to note the error! Secondly, frequently when I try to do anything in the Zotero pane, Firefox hangs. I have not made any other changes to my system, only the upgrade to 2.0rc5. Thanks.
  • Yes, we'll likely need an exact error message.
  • Hmm... I've been getting the same thing - again since upgrading to rc5. They are the standard firefox "script unresponsive" errors, and they do refer to Zotero. I'll grab an exact error message and post it here if it happens again.

For me it happens only when initially starting firefox as far as I can remember. Letting the script continue to run doesn't result in problems - i.e. it appears the script is not truly unresponsive, just taking a long time over something.
  • edited February 7, 2010
    The message should include a filename and line number—but yes, you should almost always click Continue.

(Is this on particularly slow computers, or recent ones? What's the value of dom.max_chrome_script_run_time in about:config?)
  • I haven't actually got the "script unresponsive" message since this morning, but in case it's helpful:
    Is this on particularly slow computers, or recent ones?
    Not fast, but not overly slow either - 2GHz core 2 duo, 2GB RAM, running Vista SP2. Although thinking about it I might have had rather a lot of other stuff clogging up the processor when I received the message.
    What's the value of dom.max_chrome_script_run_time in about:config?

I have ~900 items in my library if that is relevant.

I'm going to declare this a non-issue, at least for me - i'm finding that it's rare, easily dealt with, and not unexpected given the CPU load my computer might have been under (I probably had 5 programs running and firefox attempting to load 20 tabs at once, including PDFs, flash etc....)
  • OK, thanks. If you do find yourself getting the warning, you can increase that value to, say, 60 seconds, or you can set it to 0 to disable the warning altogether, since it's generally not helpful. (The non-"chrome" version of the setting, which applies to web pages, is more useful.) Zotero automatically sets it to 0 before certain long-running operations and resets it afterward, but there may be some operations that would still cause the warning to display, at least on certain systems. Something else tying up the CPU at the same time would definitely be one way to get it to appear.

But if you find yourself getting it fairly consistently in certain places (or on certain web pages), we'd want to know.
  • Hi
    The error message is:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:493

Thanks, W
  • Are you able to reproduce that consistently on a particular page, or with some regularity? If so, generate a Debug ID for it. (You can leave the preferences window open and click Clear Output occasionally while you're waiting for the error message to occur so that the total output stays relatively small.)
  • Hi, thanks for your replies.

On another page, Firefox slowed almost to a halt and I got the following:

I checked the Zotero error report which contained:

[JavaScript Error: "no element found" {file: "https://sync.zotero.org/uploadstatus" line: 1}]

[JavaScript Error: "no element found" {file: "https://sync.zotero.org/uploadstatus" line: 1}]

I've now set the debug screen running and will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

W
  • When 'attaching stored copy of file' (a pdf) to a zotero entry (something that I've done happily many times before), Firefox again slowed to a virtual halt and then gave me the following errro message and debug screen output:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

The debug screen contained the following:

(4)(+0000000): Translate: Binding sandbox to https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/portal/presence/!gateway

(3)(+0000000): Translate: Searching for translators for https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/portal/presence/!gateway

(4)(+0000010): Translate: Parsing code for unAPI

(4)(+0000003): Translate: Executed detectCode for unAPI

(4)(+0000000): Translate: Parsing code for COinS

(4)(+0000005): Translate: Executed detectCode for COinS

(4)(+0000000): Translate: Parsing code for DOI

(4)(+0000003): Translate: Executed detectCode for DOI

(4)(+0000000): Translate: Parsing code for Embedded RDF

(4)(+0000002): Translate: Executed detectCode for Embedded RDF

(5)(+0000000): Translate: running handler 0 for translators

(4)(+0002626): Registering observer for [collection,search,share,group,bucket] in notifier with hash WH'

(5)(+0000003): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name, custom FROM itemTypesCombined WHERE display=2

(5)(+0000002): SELECT itemTypeID AS id, typeName AS name, custom FROM itemTypesCombined WHERE display=1

After a few minutes, everything recovered fine and I am able to continue. Using IE to access this forum!

Many thanks again,

W (from the UK, hence the staccato conversation)
  • That output shows only a a 2.6-second delay. Was there more?
  • Do you get this delay with the tag selector closed? (Drag the splitter above the tag selector down to close it.) With the Zotero pane closed?

Does this occur if you disable other Firefox extensions?
  • I'm also having the problem as wayneholmes has described it (rc5, when attaching stored pdfs). General use of zotero (searching etc.) has also been causing firefox to slow, which did not happen before this rc.
  • Then you'll need to answer the same questions.
  • Tag selector is closed, Zotero pane obviously open.
  • Same file and line number?
  • edited February 11, 2010
    This is the script:
    chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:493.

I don't know how to be more specific (where to find the log or dump etc.).