Privacy settings for "My Library"

I see under privacy settings that there is the option:
Publish Entire Library This will make all items in your library viewable by anyone visiting zotero.org. Your notes will not be viewable unless you select the option below.

Which leads me to ask, who can see it if I DON'T publish entire library? Only me? Or people who follow me too? Thanks.
  • Only you can see your library if you don't publish it.
  • Actually that's a very interesting point. It would make eminent sense if there were an option to share your library with selected people (though not your followers probably, 'cause as far as I know it's very easy to follow someone you don't even know).
  • Thanks for the info.

I think Zotero folks have been saying that upgrades to the web site functionality are coming, so maybe what you are saying Mark will happen.
  • It would make eminent sense if there were an option to share your library with selected people
    Why not just use a private group for this?
  • Well as I see it, (private) groups are more goal-oriented and meant for collaboration. I might want to share my library with a couple of trusted friends and/or colleagues as an extension of the 'social web' idea (like I may share photos on Facebook). Using a group would be too much trouble for that.
  • But what are the specific differences that you're proposing between having a private group that only members can read and only admins (you) can add/edit/remove? It seems to me that the only difference would be the name/url: you'd still need an interface to manage your collection of friends/colleagues (that is: the group members) & so I wouldn't think there'd be any less "trouble" (and, if there is, perhaps that means that group management should be improved). Although I suppose I could see an argument for blurring differences between individual and group libraries.
  • edited February 3, 2010
    Perhaps part of the issue stems from the incomplete groups functionality. At present it is well-nigh impossible to quickly replicate a personal library in a group, since you still can't drag collections. If that would be trivial, it would probably also be trivial to make a private group with a duplicate of your library, and share it — though I don't see why duplicate data would be that helpful.

(That was a low quality reply though since I gotta go. Will think about it more.)
  • Hello all,

I'm looking for a particular functionality which I have yet to discover in Zotero, though perhaps it has not been implemented. This thread seemed the appropriate place to inquire about it.

I am interested in publishing my library but would like to indicate which collections and subcollections should remain private.

Or in other words, I have a single library with collections and subcollections and only want to publish some, not all, of my collections/subcollections. Is this currently possible or does anyone know if this is a feature we can expect?

Thank you!
  • Kmata, this is not currently possible. For a work around you can try keeping your library private and creating a group library to share any of the items you want to share.
  • Thanks for the information and tip Tjowens!
  • Add me to those who would appreciate the option to "share" to a limited group (as opposed to publishing for all to see) one's library - or even specific collections in one's library. This would serve a different purpose - what I would call "unprocessed" sharing - the messy "where I am now". Group libraries are nice for more "processed" sharing. Does this make sense?

In any case, Zotero is great. Will be showing it to my ENG101 students next week.
  • I am also interested in publishing my library but would like to indicate which collections and subcollections should remain private. Otherwise my entire library will remain private. This is a major functionality missing from Zotero online...
  • Have you considered creating a public group library and copying only those things you want to share in there?