Word/Ooo plugin - Warning for Show Editor

The show editor function in the plugin is, afaict, not used heavily, but even the quite sophisticated users who do find and use it usually are not aware that it breaks any further updating of the edited citation.
In a large document that is a potential source of major annoyance. Since I don't think the behavior itself can be changed easily, the plugin should display a prominent warning - my idea would be to display
"Warning: If you edit a citation in the editor it will no longer update to reflect changes in your database or the citation style"
above the editor window once you click "show editor". Since this wouldn't involve any actual changes in functionality I'd hope we could get that in asap.
  • I would like to see this, too!
  • 1.Thats a good Idea!

2.sorry to add this question here, but: is there a way to revert back to "before edited"? Can the edited reference be "re-linked" to the database, or do i have to delete it and insert a new one? Since i couldn find a way to revert it, i would add this whish: include a button to revert the reference to the original one :-)

greetings
    mmoole
  • bump - this seems such an easy fix that will avoid a lot of upset users in the future - any chance you could still put this in 2.0 final?
  • awesome, thanks Dan.
  • Thanks Dan!
  • Comprehension questions (just to make sure): If I edit a citation, this particualar citation will not update anymore, right? If this citation is the only one in a document referencing to a specific zotero entry, it still shows in the bibliography, right? Changes made to this entry in the database will show in the bibliography, right?
  • yes, it's still a Zotero citation and it will still show up in the bibliography - it just has a "custom" tag that tells Zotero not to update it.
  • edited August 30, 2010
    Thank you! That answer makes me feel a lot better when I will edit the citations in a minute. (Unfortuenately, I don't have the time right now to adjust my citation style, which would have been the more elegant solution. I'll probably come back to this in a different thread, though).