FF 3.6 with 1.0.10

I upgraded from FF 3.5.7 (WinXP) to FF 3.6; FF shows that Zotero 1.0.10 is not compatible with FF 3.6.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks
  • Zotero 1.0 won't work with Firefox versions above 3.5.

For Firefox 3.6 compatibility, you'll need to use Zotero 2.0. Its beta period is wrapping up, so if the "beta" label concerns you, stay tuned...
  • Thank-you! I'll install 2 beta.
  • Would Zotero 1.0.10 work if you override the incompatibility ?
  • I don't think so - but you can certainly try - what's wrong with 2.0?
  • My zotero base is worth 2 years of work which I don't like to entrust to a programme in beta stage.

BTW, I am somewhat disturbed to discover that the programme which is crucial to my job ends its integration with the browser it is technically based - without providing a working alternative. If Zotero 2.0 is not ready I thought that Zotero will provide a working version for Firefox 3.6 .
  • @ftr: You have the alternative of staying with FF version 3.5, of course.
  • edited January 23, 2010
    ftr:
    If you are concerned about data integrity, you should probably stick with Firefox 3.5.x for now regardless-- Mozilla has committed to maintaining the 3.5.x branch and providing security fixes for at least the next 6 months, and Zotero 2.0 will leave beta within those 6 months. Even though Firefox 3.6 has shed its beta marking, there is always an increased risk of instability with the first release in a new branch, so you might want to wait for 3.6.1 or so anyway. While I'll echo others in their comments that 2.0 is certainly ready for regular, production use, I completely understand your concern and desire to wait for its final release. That said, you would be perfectly well-served by sticking with Firefox 3.5.x for now as well.

If there is a some reason that you cannot use Zotero 1.0.x in Firefox 3.5.x, then that is cause for concern and I'm sure that the Zotero development community would be glad to look into addressing it.

(edit: In other words, I agree with Frank.)
    working alternative = stay on FF 3.5
    I don't see why you don't consider that a possible solution? It's my understanding that security updates will be continued for some time.

As for what Zotero should do - as we say over and over again - Zotero developer time is a very scarce resource. And while it may be inconvenient for you, for the community of users at large this time is much better used at the moment in getting 2.0 ready for the final release than in updating 1.0, which will be obsolete within months if not weeks.

For what it's worth, if you don't use the sync features, the 2.0 version of Zotero is as stable as - probably more stable than - the 1.0 version. Countless users are using 2.0 on extensive databases and important projects. If you look through the forums, there has not been a case of data loss due to bugs in 2.0 for months. Plus there is always the backup of your database that you should make before updating anyway.

edit: uhm yes. I guess we all agree.
    To be fair, alexuw did report the loss of one child note recently, apparently caused by confusion of the UI under certain conditions under 64-bit Linux. Dan was not able reproduce data loss, but that bug has been fixed. Balanced against that, having the data synced against the server in 2.0 definitely has its advantages. Whether and when to migrate is a judgement call, but the main thing is to take care to back everything up before doing the migration.
  • The upgrade to 2 beta went fine; no problems. Thanks!
  • Hi, I am a beginner with these things but I think you all can help me with one matter. I worked on Zotero 1 on my old computer. Just bought a new computer so have FF 3.6 and want to restore my Zotero library. I was thinking I'd download Zotero 1 do the restore and then upgrade. Clearly won't work. Can I restore Zotero 1 data into Zotero 2? Any suggestions on the most fool-proof way to make my restore? Thanks, Sarah
  • Well you could replace your FF 3.6 with 3.5.7 from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html and work your up!
  • before you do that - I would just try what happens when you install Zotero 2.0 and then just move a copy of your 1.0 data to the data directory, as if
    restoring from a backup
    I think Zotero should just upgrade your database automatically.
    Obviously, you should keep a backup of the database, because i'm not 100% sure that would work. If it doesn't alandsloane's solution would be the way to go.
  • Zotero 2.0 will upgrade 1.0 data directories. Just keep a backup.
  • It appears to have worked! Thank you Dan and Adam Smith and alandsloane for your help. And as always, thanks to the zotero developers for creating such a wonderful product and the whole zotero community.