APA 6th new style

• I've looked into the code a little. The error appears to be a little higher up. The code you quoted is for when a variable is used.
    The problem seams to be that the macro returns am empty string for some reason. I tried changing the sort to only the issued-year macro and it would try to sort the items by an empty key. Both keyA and keyB are set to '{"format":"Sort","string":[]}' (JSON) by the macro. I'll try to look into the execution of the macro if I find some time but as I'm new to the Zotero code it might take a little until I can further localize the issue.
  • I've managed to localize the bug. Since I'm not quite sure what the intended behavior is meant to be, I describe how it could be changed:
    Inside csl.js:
    1: if(formattedString.format == "Sort") {
    2: variableString.append(date.getDateVariable("sort"));
    3: } else {

This shows that dates will be handled differently if used as a sort key. Unfortunately, the variableString it is appended to is never returned. Adding the follow line between lines 2 and 3 resolves the problem: newString.concat(variableString);
    This solution would continue the current procedure of handling dates as sort keys differently to regular dates. I'm not quite sure why this is in place and would actually remove this. After all sorting should be comprehensible for a reader and not use hidden variables such as a month for example that is not used in APA (for most sources).

Any ideas what to do with this finding?
  • unless you want to post it to the dev list, I'll do that later today. Thanks!
  • I'll post it later then :)
  • There's a problem here that was also present in the standard APA 6 export. Set up Word to have standard one-inch margins all around. Drag a reference and drop it into word. The new reference paragraph should have a left margin at 1 inch for the first line and 1.5 inches for all subsequent lines. Instead, it has a left margin at 0.5 inches for the first line and 1.0 inch for the rest. The whole thing needs to be moved over one half inch to the right.
  • Another problem is that Zotero is exporting both the access date and the entire URL of newspaper articles. For example:

Woodward, C. (2009, November 13). Fact check: Palin's book goes rogue on some facts. Newsday. Retrieved November 14, 2009, from http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/fact-check-palin-s-book-goes-rogue-on-some-facts-1.1587846

APA 6 (see example on page 200) wants only the newspaper's homepage URL (i.e., "http://www.newsday.com"). And they want the access date only for sources that change frequently. The newspaper article example on page 200 doesn't have that, so I presume APA editors believe that the fact newspaper articles online can and do change doesn't quite meet the criterion of changing frequently.
  • Thanks for these reports.

I'm not sure I can do anything about the formatting. You should be able to adjust the "standard" style/format/font (never sure about MS word terminology) in MS Word to do the margins right (Zotero automatically uses the standard formatting when you insert a reference).

I've pasted a style above that has retrieved dates only for webpages:
    http://gist.github.com/226820
    Use the "Raw" Link on the top right to download.
    Install by dragging to an open FF window. It would be great if you could report back here.
    I'll get that into the repository soon, forgot about that.

There's nothing I can do in the current Zotero about the URL: Zotero just saves one URL and I can't cut it short or anything.
  • No, when I have Word 2007 setup with one inch margins on both sides, and the default 11-point Calibri type, dropping a Zotero reference on it results in a 0.5 inch left margin, with a further 0.5 inch of hanging indentation for second and subsequent lines. I suspect this is not the fault of your APA 6 module, because this behavior is common to all of the export formats I've tried. I think it's a "feature" of Zotero 1.0. Try it yourself. If you can figure out a way to make this work right, I'd love to hear it.

AS for the item you suggest I install, I will need slightly more precise installation instructions. I'm pretty sure I did exactly what you described, and the result is that I get a lot of XML code appearing in a Firefox window. But I don't think anything got installed. Here's what I did: I right-clicked on the link and had it open in a new tab. At top of that tab, I found a "raw" link. I opened a new Firefox window. Then I dragged the "raw" link to the new window. I get an XML file that starts out like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <?oxygen RNGSchema="http://xbiblio.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/xbiblio/csl/schema/trunk/csl.rnc" type="compact"?>
    <style xmlns="http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl" class="in-text" xml:lang="en">
  • I neglected to mention that Zotero overrides the 11-point Calibri, replacing it with 12-point Times New Roman, exactly as it should. The point is that Zotero is overriding the specifications I've already given Word.
  • "Use the Raw Link on the top Right to download".
    i.e. use right-click --> save as to download the file. You'll have a file apa.csl That file you drag to an open FF window.
    You will still get the xml code (with a grey bar on top that looks a little like an error message, but that's OK) - but this time Zotero/FF will ask you if you want to update your style.

I don't know Word well enough to give you precise instructions, but Word, like Ooo, has "styles" (or format's or whatever it's known as). Those are comprehensive formatting instructions - including indentation, font type, font size etc. - which you can apply to entire sections. They have names such as "Heading 1", "Heading 2" "Footnote Text" etc.
    One of them is the default style - it's the one that Word starts out with when you open an emptry document - once again, not sure about the precise name, I think it's "normal" or "standard".
    Now, whenever you insert a citation using Zotero, it converts the entire paragraph back to said default style. So you want to change this default style to whatever you want your document to look like - 11pt Calibri font, 1 inch margins with .5inch indents etc.
    I can't tell you exactly how to do that, I would start under format, but that's really all I can say. But I know for a fact that it works, because other people have gotten it to work.
    If not, you can try opening a new thread with an informative title (because that part of your issue has nothing to do with APA and people might not find their way here), include your version of Word, and I'm sure someone will be able to help.
  • Okay, I've installed per your directions, and now Zotero no longer puts the date in. It does copy in the entire URL for a newspaper article, rather than just the homepage, as APA 6 wants.

I'm an avid beta tester. Send me anything you want me to try, and I'll do my best to return precise feedback.

And yes, I'll go search for this faulty margin problem and then post something if I don't find the answer already in the forums.
  • thanks - I'll find you for style testing. As I said - nothing I can do about full URL vs. homepage. Zotero doesn't have a way to cut URLs - it's not planned, either afaik - you'll have to manually edit these at the end unfortunately.
  • OK - the apa style in the repository has been updated and will now only display retrieved dates for websites. That's not perfect, but as per the discussion above, websites are the best approximation of "sources that change frequently".
    Update your APA style by following
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/apa/dev?install=1
    (it will show up as American Psychological Association 6th Edition)

I'll wait a couple of more weeks before asking Dan to push this to the clients.
  • Hi Adam,

I hope you can help me out again. There seems to be no way to include the original publication date of a reprinted or republished chapter/book or translated works in Zotero.

Would it be possible to include a field (eg "Original Publication date")/fix for this?

Here are the formats:

Ref list:
    Freud, S. (1961). The ego and the id. In J. Strachey (Ed. and Trans.), The standard edition of the complete psychological works of Sigmund Freud (Vol. 19, pp. 3-66). London: Hogarth Press. (Original work published 1923)

* Following the entry, enclose "Original work published" in parentheses, noting the original date, WITHOUT a "." at the end!

In-text citations should be:
    bla bla bla (Author, original publication date/date of translation or republished work) bla bla
    eg: the theory of gravity (Spearman, 1904/1972)…

Many thanks

FCL
  • sorry, current limitation of Zotero, will be solved with the next csl.
  • I heard just last week that the first printing of APA 6th is riddled with errors. They have corrected them, supposedly (see http://www.apastyle.org/manual/corrections-faqs.aspx). Has Zotero been updated to reflect the corrections?
  • there's actually only one tiny thing in the actual references that had to be corrected (mention of publisher when DOI is given): Since Zotero doesn't allow for DOIs in books and chapters anyway, this is currently a moot point. So yes, to the best of my knowledge and within the limits of Zotero APA 6th is correct.
  • Another small glitch that 'should' be an easy fix, but this one is in both the new and old versions. At the end of the citation, it is not posting the "Retrieved [date] from [repository] database. (ID#)" I worked around this by typing in each database (and the word database) in the URL field for the first version, simply omitting accession numbers completely. However, with the more papers I write, the more tedious this becomes for all my sources because well... I'm a little lazy and the autocomplete feature doesn't work in the URL field... LOL

I have tried tweaking it myself using all the CSL help on the site, but am admittedly not a programmer. I can get it to work for some things but not others. If I had to reckon a completely uneducated guess I would say try looking in the access macro? If I play with copying/pasting the date group and playing the with text variable="archive" and "archive_location" syntaxes I can get it to add the retrieval date to some, but not all citations. Getting it to add the word database appears to be a matter of finding the correct location to type "suffix= database, again a some not all types thing". Specifically, I have a thesis that simply won't cooperate and neither do many of my newspaper articles. Journal articles appear to be fine with my tweaks.

Programming is SO not my thing, but I have put in about 5 hours playing with the code on my end getting oh so close, but so far away... ha ha. I would do the favor of uploading my "mess/attempt" but I honestly don't know if pasting in the forum box would cause a problem or not. Darn rookies.. I know. :) The sad thing is I'm starting to understand it.

As a favor I will post everything between the <macro ="access"> tags, because they are the items I have been playing with (date and archive) in different locations of the CSL. If you look under 'if type=webpage' towards the bottom, you will see where I added the date and archive info. Adding it there gets only the archive part working, not the date, and only for some types - like newspapers. Adding it in the bibliography section at the end makes the citation repeat parts of itself. Also having this problem with book chapters.

Have I confused everyone yet? Thanks for any help and let me know if you want me to email a txt file that shows all my work to date. (Prevents accidental boo-boos) :) Kenzie

<choose>
    <if type="thesis">
    <choose>
    <if variable="archive" match="any">
    <group>
    <text term="retrieved" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix=" "/>
    <text term="from" suffix=" "/>
    <text variable="archive" suffix="."/>
    <text variable="archive_location" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <group>
    <date variable="accessed" suffix=", ">
    <date-part name="month" suffix=" "/>
    <date-part name="day" suffix=", "/>
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    <text variable="URL"/>
    </group>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    <else>
    <choose>
    <if variable="DOI">
    <text variable="DOI" prefix="doi: "/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <choose>
    <if type="webpage">
    <group>
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    <group>
    <text variable="URL"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <group>
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    <text variable="archive" suffix=" database."/>
    </group>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </else>
    </choose>
  • I won't get to this for a couple of days, but could you maybe also post an example of how things look right now in the new style and how they should look? Thanks!
  • International hassle:

Writing a manuscript for an American journal on an German computer the APA-style generates the following:

Alexander, L., & Luborsky, L. (1986). The Penn Helping Alliance Scales. In L. S. Greenberg & W. Pinsof (Hrsg.), The psychotherapeutic process: A research handbook (S. 325-366). New York: Guilford Press.

(Hrsg.)=Herausgeber, should be (Eds.)
    (S.325-366) = Seite, shoud be (p. 325-366)

Switching the system language (MS-Windows XP) to EN-USA doesn't help.
    Perhaps this is a problem for all styles. If there is already a solution, please give me a hint how to retrieve it in the forum.

Thx
    Armin Hartmann
  • Thx.
    I created a German translation in the Wiki.
    By the way: A restart of Firefox is required to activate the changes, a reload is not enough - right?
    Armin Hartmann
  • Armin: yes, unfortunately you need a restart. And thanks for helping to improve the wiki.
  • Hi guys, minor issue with the doi display in APA 6th. The style currently inserts a space between "doi:" and the doi; this is not required. I.e., doi's currently display as:

doi: xxxxxx # but should be:
    doi:xxxxxx

Example here but have checked the 6th edition manual itself.

Thanks for all the great work on this style!
  • thanks for reporting this.
    Fixed, in the repository, use this link to update
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/apa/dev?install=1
  • Great - thanks very much Adam!

I've come across a couple of others, if you wouldn't mind taking a look (thesis finally nearing completion so doing a lot of tidying up!)

1. Manuscripts should have title italicised, e.g.
    Author, A. A. (Year). Title of manuscript. Unpublished manuscript, Department of Psychology, University of Hats, Vancouver, Canada.

Manuscripts will often have a university as part of the citation - there isn't a field for this atm, but slotting it into the type field (after "Unpublished manucript" or "Manuscript submitted for publication" etc.) does the job.

2. Conference paper presentations or poster sessions - style given in the manual is:
    Presenter, A. A. (Year, Month). Title of paper or poster. Paper or poster session presented at the meeting of Organization Name, Location.

There seem to be two item types in Zotero that could potentially be used for these in Zotero: Conference Paper, and Presentation. However, the Conference Paper item type does not provide a type field (for paper or poster session) and doesn't display the month of presentation. E.g., currently displays as:

Presenter, A. A. (Year). Title of paper or poster. Presented at the meeting of Organization Name, Location.

The Presentation item type might be a better possibility because it already includes a type field (it also already displays both year and month of presentation). It puts the presentation type after the conference/meeting name between commas, though:

Presenter, A. A. (Year, Month). Title of paper or poster. Presented at the meeting of Organization Name, Poster, Location.

Could this be switched to appear as "...Poster presented at..."?
  • OK - so for one, if I understand you correctly, there is nothing I can do.
    For 2. I'll take a look - Presentation is definitely the way to go - conference paper is for papers published in proceedings.
    So if I understand that correctly, the date should have a month (in what form? Should it be 2007, July ? Maybe you could post a sample? Should that be just in the bibliography, or in the citation, too? And the type should be moved up in front of "Presented" which should only capitalized if there is no type. Correct?
  • Hi again - for 1 (manuscripts), the only change really needed is to italicise title (doable?) - my comment about entering university was just a sidenote, really. Sorry if this was confusing.

For 2 - the month should display as (2007, July). The month appears in the reference list only, not the citation. This already happens for the Presentation item type, not the Conference Paper item type, so no change is required if we focus on the Presentation type.

Ref list sample: Jackson, A. A. (2007, April). The cat and the hat. Poster session presented at the meeting of the American Society for Hats, Norway.

Citation in text: (Jackson, 2007).
    And the type should be moved up in front of "Presented" which should only capitalized if there is no type. Correct?
    Exactly!
  • ok thanks - that should both be doable, I'll take a look sometime this week or on the weekend the latest.