Firefox 3.6

Todd Whiteman of the PythonExt Mozilla project said he will be updating the plugin for Firefox 3.6 within days. The Mac and Linux builds are already working and Windows is a WIP. I assume this will enable the Zotero Mac Integration with Firefox 3.6?

"Sorry for the delay, The project will indeed be updated for Firefox 3.6, though I've been pushing this off for a while due to the recent changes in pyxpcom moving to a project outside of the mozilla core (it requires changes to the way I build the pyxpcom components).

I've started working on this - Linux and Mac are working thus far (no release yet), with Windows still todo.

I'll post to the pyxpcom+pythonext mailing lists when it's all finished and uploaded to the web site.

Cheers,
Todd"
  • edited January 6, 2010
    This would be very nice. Firefox 3.6 should be faster and more safe. Especially the startup time is shorter. Since zotero is indispensable for my work, I cannot update to FF3.6beta.

However, the Word plugin for Windows is not working on FF3.6 still. Is there some kind of release date for it?

Edit: a Firefox 3.6RC is probably coming this week already: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.planning/browse_thread/thread/d169663fee14b14a

How is the plugin work coming along?

Offtopic:
    By the way, thanks for the blogpost, puts the whole thing in perspective: a mere 4 years and since the beginning nothing can touch zotero (IMHO), especially since version 2. Keep it going, it only needs some more advertising. Facebook fanpage anyone?
  • ff hit 3.6rc1 today - anybody knowing when the pytonex plug will be out?
  • Also with the eye on the Windows plugin for Word (and OpenOffice?): when will there be an update?
  • Firefox 3.6 final is about to hit at least this month. No show-stopping bugs have appeared after release of the first RC, so it may be released sooner than later: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10433844-264.html

So my question: Zotero Word plugin still does not play nice with Firefox 3.6 (Windows and MacOSX)? I need Zotero for my work, otherwise I would already jumped the FF3.6 bandwagon.
  • edited January 17, 2010
    Zotero 2.0b7.6,
    PythonExt 2.6.2.20090330, and
    Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a7 (for Word 2008)

are working fine for me on FF3.6 RC1 on OS X 10.6.2

(Zotero itself, syncing, inserting citations in a 5k word document, editing citations, refreshing, changing citation styles)

I've only been running it for about five hours, so I don't know if it's leaking memory (FF is using around 233MB of real memory at the moment) Obviously, I overrode compatibility for the XPCOM binding and MacWord integration plugins, but aside from as-yet-unknown memory leak possibilities, it's stable and fast.

(YMMV, please take any and all appropriate precautions before you try it yourself, wear magic ring &c.)

//update: It also works with PythonExt 2.6.2.20091013, once you've overridden compatibility
  • Surprising. You're running an older version of PythonExt as well. I assume you toggled off the extensions.checkCompatibility.3.6 in about:config?
  • Installing the FF nightly tester tools plugin allows you to override plugin compatibility for the purposes of, well, testing.
  • Ok, so it seems as if the plugins only need to get a small "Compatible with 3.6.x" check?
  • PythonExt crashed earlier versions of 3.6, but it does seem to work with the latest RC, so we've marked the MacWord Integration Plugin and PythonExt as 3.6-compatible. Thanks.
  • Ok and what about the WinWord Plugin? Thank you in advance!
  • wfm on mac! perfect - thx again for your great work!
  • Sorry, official release of FF 3.6 is slated for tomorrow! https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases
    Hope to see a zotero update soon. Otherwise, enjoying all the best of zotero for 2 years now! Thx!
  • The WinWord plugin works fine for me in Firefox 3.6, so I've marked it as compatible as well. If you run into trouble, let us know.
  • OK, awesome! Upgrading my FF now. Already tried with FF3.6RC2 portable and it works! Thanks a lot.
  • I've fixed an issue with the OO plugin in Firefox 3.6 and marked the OO dev XPI as compatible. It seems to work for me on OS X. If you run into trouble, please let us know. If there are no other problems, we'll put out a new official release later today.
  • Firefox 3.6 needs a different Java plugin from 3.5. If you have Java installed on your machine, but you are unable to get the Java plugin to load or to validate under Firefox 3.6, this might be the cause. The plugin filename (on a Linux system) is libnpjp2.so, and it should be soft-linked (not copied) into the Firefox 3.6 ./plugins directory. There is a discussion (offsite) here.
  • edited January 22, 2010
    Hm, the OpenOffice plugin crashes firefox 3.6 on 64 bit linux. I am currently trying Dan Stillman's OO dev XPI

OpenOffice: 3.2
    Firefox: 3.6
    OpenSuse 11.2

edit:

solved, my mistake. I had linked the libnpjp2.so against the wrong plugin-directory. It now works
  • Hey, I just installed ff3.6 and my word plugin isn't working anymore. When I tried to insert a citation into a word file, I received a message saying that there was an integration error and that they ff component could be installed if it was okay to restart ff. I clicked ok. Same error message after the restart. I attempted to re-install the add-ons (pythonext 2.6.20090920 and zotero macword integration 3.0a7), but the must be for ff3.5 as a restart of ff and the entire computer did not "enable" them.

FF: 3.6
    Word: 2008, version 12.2.3
    Zotero: 2.0b7.6
    Report: 209351289

[JavaScript Error: "Components.classes[componentClass] is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 126}]

Help?
  • Hello,

I've tried to update Java, but I'm still getting the compability error. I'm running Firefox 3.6, OO 3.1 and Windows 7. Does anybody knows how to fix this on windows?
  • did you install the Ooo dev XPI that Dan links to above?
  • No, I was trying the official one. The one Dan linked seems to be working fine. Thank you for your reply, sorry for the noobyness, hehe.
  • OK, I've marked the main OO plugin release as compatible with Firefox 3.6.

All plugins are now marked as 3.6-compatible.
  • I just updated to FF 3.6 on Kubuntu 9.10, everything seems to work fine with Zotero.

I had some problems with Java, but this info helped me:
    http://slackblogs.blogspot.com/2010/01/firefox-36-and-java.html
  • FF 3.6 tells me that Zotero 1.0.10 is not compatible with FF 3.6

What can I do ?
    TIA
    - ftr

OOo 3.2 (OOo 320m10, build 9477)
    Win Vista Home
  • http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/10723/ff-36-with-1010/#Item_3
    for 1.0.10 - note that this is the 2.0 section of the forum...
  • Right, I am sorry and changed to the appropriate one.
  • I've been using the experimental plugin (OO dev XPI linked to by Dan Stillman) and run into an old bug: https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1197 seems to be active again.
    After creating a new document in OO (ODT doc using reference fields), writing a paragraph, changing the line spacing and the alignment from default to something else (double line spacing and block format) I then inserted a citation and bingo, the whole paragraph was converted to the default formatting (single line spacing and left bound format).

Very annoying, please reproduce and fix. If I can provide anymore information or help in any way, just post. THANKS!
  • edited January 25, 2010
    I don't think that was ever fixed? You can change the default style to what you want it to be, but afaik that's the only option right now.

edit: I see the ticket says fixed - but I've been seeing this behavior throughout.
  • I'm pretty sure this bug didn't exist (or was fixed loong ago) in the stable 1.0.x versions of Zotero. I've always had this bug when fiddling around with the 2.x beta versions. Regardless of what the ticket says, it's not fixed and manually creating separate paragraphs for every single Zotero insertation, then removing them again is too tedious a process to be a solution to the problem.
  • ah ok - could have been that this didn't exist or was fixed in 1.0
    The (afaik only current) way of dealing with that is here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/word_default_font
    and no, that's not ideal and there are a number of threads and requests to fix this out there.
This discussion has been closed.