IEEE & ACM Automatic Downlad Citations

Many of your new users are in computer science. However I cannot download from the ACM digital library or IEEE Explorer Library. This is a sample of the IEEE Library

1. VIS2002. IEEE Visualization 2002. Proceedings (Cat. No.02CH37370)
Visualization, 2002. VIS 2002. IEEE
27 Oct.-1 Nov. 2002
Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/VISUAL.2002.1183751
Summary: The following topics are dealt with: medical visualization; large data sets; volume visualization; compression and simplification; point primitives for visualization; level sets and isovalues; nature visualization; view-dependent visualization; vecto.....

This is a sample ACM example

Research contributions: Visualization of web spaces: state of the art and future directions
Ozgur Turetken, Ramesh Sharda
July 2007
ACM SIGMIS Database, Volume 38 Issue 3
Publisher: ACM Press
Full text available: pdf(1.39 MB)

Additional Information: full citation, abstract, references, index terms

The World Wide Web is a dominant global communication medium and knowledge repository. It is used by a great number of people with a variety of computer skills hence its usability is critical. As with many large information collections, the challenge with web usability is understanding the structure of a collection of information objects (web pages) to find relevant ones for satisfying a specific information need. Web sites are organized in a hyperlinked structure that somewhat addresses this ...

Keywords: human-computer interaction, information visualization, web usability
  • Both ACM and IEEE Xplore are supported, but sometimes the scrapers need to be updated due to changes by the sites and/or differences in URL regex. I didn't look for the citation you pasted, but I did test the sites in general with good success.

If you have a problem, please post the URL.
  • In addition to IEEE Xplore there is IEEE Digital Library sometimes differ in the content. For example, the URL [1] is not processed correctly.

[1] http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MIC.2007.108
  • I had a different problem on the ACM cite. Zotero picked up the authors and title when I used the navigation bar icon to save the citation/abstract page. However, when I right click the PDF to Save it as a zotero citation, it pretends it saves the cite, but when you click on it, it says something like the file can't be found and offers you the option of locating it.

The problem is that when you save a ACM PDF, sometimes you need to login with a username / password. Zotero doesn't recognize that situation -- it just fails quietly. To make matters worse, the ACM site seems to time out sessions frequently. Having to check whether I'm logged in every time I download something is a major hassle.

One way to help with this would be for zotero to at least recognize when you've gone to some sort of captive portal and tell you so you can log in. Another solution idea is for zotero to show you the first ~100 words of the file it saved to give you feedback that the save worked (or didn't) so at least I can correct the problem without having to click "view" and launch Preview (I'm on a mac) every time I want to check. Maybe there are other solutions as well.

Thanks for working on this tool!