Openoffice plugin 3.0a5, firefox 3.5.5, OOo 3.1.1 installation issues

Hi,

here my setup:

ubuntu Karmic,
Firefox 3.5.5
Zotero 2.0b7.6
Zotero OpenOffice integration 3.0a5
OOo 3.1.1 with OOlatex, a Dmaths extension installed (don't know if this matters, but...)
java 6 jre and plugins are fully functional.

Installation proceeds normally, no error messages from anyone, the OOo integration plugins says the installation was successful, but the toolbar **does not** show up in OOo.

any help is appreciated.
  • edited January 11, 2010
    Hi,

I have the same problem. I have a standard Ubuntu Karmic install with OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 (OOO310m19 Build:9420), Firefox 3.5.7, Zotero 2.0b4.6 (edit - this should say 2.0b7.6) and Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0a5. I have sun-java6 6-15-1.

I get no errors on installing and have tried reinstalling and checking paths. I also get no errors reported by OO when I start from the command line. Yet still there is no Zotero toolbar in OO.

From other posts I can see that people are running Zotero with Karmic and OO just fine, so I don't know what the problem is with my set up. I didn't install Zotero until Karmic was installed and I only briefly experimented with 1.0 before upgrading to 2.0.

OO has 1 extension installed: Mailmerge.py
    Firefox has Ubuntu Firefox modifications 0.8, Syncplaces 3.6.1 Firebug 1.4.5 AbblockPlus 1.1.3 installed. I've disabled them and restared and reinstalled the OO components again, but no joy.

I can only say that I'm very impressed with the Mac/Word 2008 integration which works perfectly.

Any help/pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all your work on producing Zotero though as I think it's excellent.
  • edited January 11, 2010
    I don't know if anyone else has actually read these comments, since no developers have commented, but rather than post a new report elsewhere I'll follow up with some more observations and keep it all together.

I did a clean install of Zotero v2.0b7.6 and the OO plugin on another, pretty much vanilla, Ubuntu machine run sun-java6-plugin 6-15-1, and it worked perfectly first time. The only difference with my install described above was that, when the OO plugin was installing, it said that it was disabling the previous version of the OO plugin.

This was curious for 2 reasons. Firstly, I was doing a clean install. The previous version of the plugin had not been installed on that machine. Secondly, on the first machine that I installed it on, I didn't see that message, and yet I HAD previously installed, then uninstalled, the v1.0 plugin.

(I made a mistake above, I have the v2.0b7.6 version installed there, not v2.0b4.6 as stated originally).

Out of interest, I installed the Zotero.oxt extension on the first machine again. As expected I got the Zotero toolbar but an error when I tried to use it, saying that I needed to upgrade.

When I reinstalled the OO integration (3.0a5), however, I didn't get the message saying that it was disabling the old OO extension though. So for some reason this isn't being detected.

I've checked the paths in the install and can't see any problems there either.

I hope someone can help unpick the problem here.
  • And as a latest effort, I reinstalled OO and it hasn't had any effect. I even deleted my .openoffice.org* directories and reinstalled the OO integration, but to no avail. Still no Zotero toolbar :(
  • Hi all,

I use OO3.1.1+FF3.5.7+Zotero 2.0b7r5577+OOplugin 3.0a65318 and it works for me.
    I had to go to the view/toolbars and make sure to have a toolbar called Add-On 1 checked

I dont know if this is because I use a more recent version of the plugin. Perhaps worth to try?

Cheers,
    bjorn
  • I fixed this installing "sun-java6-plugin" from the package manager

code:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

I used Zotero and Opneoffice until last week, with the same configuration as all others in this thread, and didn't have any problem before...

now it's working fine... :-)

another way to try to fix this issue, is to unistall the Firefox extension "openoffice plugin", and reinstall a previous version, like this one:
    http://www.zotero.org/download/integration/Zotero-OpenOffice-Plugin-3.0a3.xpi

(this is actually how I got to know there was a javaplugin missing)
  • A little late here but I had similar issues with a new install. Ultimately the problem was the (silent) dependency on the java plugin.

To reiterate, the java PLUGIN which is a separate package from java.
  • I have encountered the same problem as above. The Java Plugin is installed, but still no toolbar.

I noticed that within OO there seems to be the leftovers of an old Zotero integration plugin. I remember they used to be plugins for OO rather then for Firefox. In any case, under Tools-->Extension Manager I have an extension called "Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0", even after I have removed the plugin from Firefox.

I tried to also remove the plugin from OO, but I get error messages, that some file is missing and that the removal was unsuccessful. These two messages make a loop and OO crashes.

I guess this is no solution, but maybe a hint where to keep looking for it?
  • OK, I have done two things and don't know which solved the problem:

First I deleted the folder
    ~/.openoffice.org/3/user/uno_packages
    and reinstalled the plugin.

Then I found the checkbox for the Toolbar "Add-On 1", which I checked and which got me the toolbar :-)

Only thing I don't know is, whether the "Add-On 1" was there before, because I was looking for something called "Zotero".