Zotero and location of pdfs on different computers

Hi everybody,

I am really impressed by Zotero and want to use it as a replacement for Endnote on my macbook and a linux machine.
When using Endnote I dit the data syncing (including the attached pdfs) with dropbox (I stored the database and the pdfs on dropbox and used it from my mac and a former windows machine in the university)

So I tried the same with zotero, the problem I ran in was that my mac usese the /Users/Username folder for storing everything and on Linux it is /home/Username folder.

So In my case If I store things in my Dropbox folder (mac) under /Users/Thorsten/Dropbox/Zotero/pdf/pdffile.pdf

I am not able to reach it from the linux machine because here everything is stored under /home/Thorsten/Dropbox/Zotero/pdf/pdffile.pdf

I tried to use relative paths like file://~/Dropbox/Zotero/pdf/pdffile.pdf , but this does not work.

So If anyboday has suggestions on this I would be really happy!

Thanks in advance,

Thorsten
  • I may be dense, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to create
    /Users/Thorsten/Dropbox
    on Linux (you need to have root priviledges to create a folder Users in the root directory, but then you can make that available to your regular user) and you should then be able to make that your Zotero directory.

I don't use Dropbox and I'd hope there is a smarter way of doing that, though.
    Also, there is of course the option to use Zotero's own syncing.
  • Run "sudo ln -s /home /Users" on your linux computer. There is a /home folder on OS X for compatibility reasons, but I do not know hot that works. (google OS X auto_home for more info)
  • Thanks a lot,
    I will try that.

Happy new year!
  • For a multiuser, multimachine setup, saving PDFs and other documents in a WebDAV repository allows for uniform retrieval. A server-based solution might be better, but, AFAIK, a server release is "planned but not scheduled" (i. e. "someday"...).