PLoS Journals translator not working

Hi, can't save to Zotero this PloS Genetics article:

I went through all the steps described in th "troubleshooting translator issues" section but could not solve it. I never had sich a problem before, in fact i have PLoS Genetics articles saved in my library. In case it's useful, here's the report ID: 2036698556

Zotero recognizes the translator as "PLoS Journals".

I am using the latest zotero version (2.0b7.6) and Firefox 3.5 under Linux.

  • I have found this problem when saving articles in both PLoS One and PLoS Computational Biology.

    I found that if you concatenate the URL to

    Which is prior to the extra text suggesting you linked from Google Reader (as I too had also done), the article then saves correctly.

    This is a bit fiddly, but gets the job done.

    Hope this helps.

  • Thanks mmcdowall, I just tried what you suggest, saving from here:

    And also from the raw url:

    But it doesn't work for me. When I report the error I get the following messages:

    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: Zotero.CSL.Global._defaultTerms is undefined" {file: "file:///home/ajene/library/translators/PLoS%20Journals.js" line: 0}]

    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: text.match(/(ER[^\n]*)([^\0]*)/) is null" {file: "file:///home/ajene/library/translators/PLoS%20Journals.js" line: 0}]

    Report ID: 272191958

    But then I check the PLoS Journals.js file and see nothing wrong with it. I guess the second error refers to this line:

    text = text.replace(text.match(/(ER[^\n]*)([^\0]*)/)[2],"");//Remove stray M3-tag at the end of the RIS record

    I tried clearing my cookies and cache data just in case...

    Is there something wrong with the translator, or is it just me...?

    Thanks a lot in advance!
  • tk2
    edited January 26, 2010
    I can save the article you mentioned but I've got another plos paper that fails to save with the latest version of zotero here:

    Can someone else try it and let me know if it saves for them?

  • @Mark

    I've also had the same problem linking from Google Reader - thanks for the fix!

  • I also have the same problem trying to save a PLoS paper (from PLoS Pathogens in my case) linked from Google Reader. Removing the extra parameters solves the problem. The URL in question is

    Removing everything from (and including) the question mark makes Zotero happy.
  • Please go to Journals.js and save the file to the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (, reload the page from the feed and start again.

    It should start working again. If this works for you, please post here so that I can submit this change to be pushed to all users.
  • ajlyon,

    using the file you provided fixes the issue for me, and the entry gets added to Zotero correctly. Thanks!
  • Changes committed to repository ( This will go to users with the next version of Zotero or when Dan pushes it.
Sign In or Register to comment.