LexisNexis Academic

Hey all - I apologize if I'm missing something here (either a posting that covers this already or a way of correcting this problem), as I'm new to Zotero and the forum. I did try everything that the translator troubleshooting page recommended when getting the "Could Not Save Item" error, but I'm simply not able to add individual articles from Lexis-Nexis Academic. I'm doing quite a bit of research at the site, so any advice on this is greatly appreciated.
  • what happens when you try to save? Do you not get an icon, do you get an error message?
    If the latter, create an Error report and post the ID here. If the former, maybe there is not current working translator.
  • I get an error message "Could Not Save Item: An Error occurred while saving this item." I created an error report, the number is 207371243

Thanks for your help!
  • I have the same problem too! I'm taking Criminal Law class for now and I use Lexis Nexis quite a bit for my research but Zotero doesn't seem working right on Lexis Nexis. Another way to go around this problem is sign up an account with RefWork and export the Lexis Nexis bibliography into RefWork, and then export from Refwork to Zotero. My school provides free service with RefWork so I was able to use it but I don't know about other people. I hope Zotero will fix this problem soon.
  • Hello again!
    I think that I found the problem why Zotero doesn't work with LexisNexis Academic. This program is supposes to look into the HTML code of the web page that you're viewing and decode the raw HTML codes into citation or bibliography (I guess). Unfortunately for many of people like me who are using LexisNexis through our school's library and it caused the problem. Many school libraries use the EZproxy to grant students the access to their subscribed service such as LexsNexis Academic. The it's going through the EZproxy so the original code of the wepage you're viewing would changed, that's why Zotero couldn't translate the bibliography. I hope that the developer of Zotero would fix this soon.
  • I don't think so, not -
    EZ Proxy and other services don't actually change the structure of the site, it's just that the translator is broken and needs to be fixed.
    The error message is:
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: uri is null" {file: "file:///home/sebastian/.mozilla/firefox/wkxw8okh.default/zotero/translators/LexisNexis.js" line: 0}]
    Report ID: 1284113533
  • Hey AdamSmith, you've may have noticed I've fixed a couple of translators in recent days. Can I somehow get developer access so I can see these official error reports?

It would also be nice if the translators lived in a proper source code control system (CVS etc) like I guess the rest of the software does. That way we'd get proper version numbers etc in the files.

I'm a PhD student based in London. I've previously done small amounts of work for firefox, openOffice etc.
  • I'm the wrong person to ask - I don't have those types of privileges myself.
    Look for Dan Stillman - I don't know if they're willing to give those types of rights to people outside of GMU - as translators are automatically pushed to clients you could (in theory) do a lot of harm, but it's worth a try, for sure. Also, I'd expect Dan to upload those pretty soon.
  • Will: Thanks very much for your work on these.

Error reports can't be made public for privacy reasons, but translator problems can generally only be fixed by reproducing the error, so getting a sample URL or search is usually sufficient. The error reports are mainly useful for weird/hard-to-reproduce problems.
    It would also be nice if the translators lived in a proper source code control system (CVS etc) like I guess the rest of the software does.
    https://www.zotero.org/svn/extension/trunk/translators/

Unlike CSLs, translators don't have open commit access, however. We'll try to get your initial translators reviewed over the next few days, though, and we can probably get you commit access to the translator directory. (Only trunk builds get committed translators. Pushing them to existing clients is a separate step.) We can discuss this further on the dev list.
  • http://www.lexisnexis.com.eres.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/us/lnacademic/results/docview/docview.do?docLinkInd=true&risb=21_T8187403502&format=GNBFI&sort=RELEVANCE&startDocNo=1&resultsUrlKey=29_T8187403505&cisb=22_T8187403504&treeMax=true&treeWidth=0&csi=168433&docNo=1

"Could not save item. An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information.

I went through all of the trouble shooting notes. I reinstalled all of my plugins for Zotero and blocked all others. I hope you can get this fixed soon. Thanks!
  • I'm having problems as well, on a cleanly installed Firefox 3.5.6 on a Mac with Zotero 2.0b76. Reported under error number 1721647666.
    Thanks!
  • When I tried saving an article from LexisNexis this morning, I received this error report:

"Could not save item. An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information."

http://0-www.lexisnexis.com.luna.wellesley.edu/us/lnacademic/results/docview/docview.do?docLinkInd=true&risb=21_T8506141509&format=GNBFI&sort=BOOLEAN&startDocNo=1&resultsUrlKey=29_T8506124580&cisb=22_T8506141511&treeMax=true&treeWidth=0&csi=306910&docNo=2

I'm using Firefox 3.5.7, Zotero 2.0rc5, on a Mac

Reported under error number 307708134.
  • This is not as fast as downloading directly into Zotero, but it's what I've been doing: When you find an article in Lexis Nexis (or any other legal search program), type the article title into Google Scholar and just download the information from there instead. It's an extra step, but it sure is quicker than typing in all of the information manually!