Problem with Synchronization

I have Windows 7 64bit and openSUSE 11.2 (Linux) 64bit on the same computer and i use the same firefox-profile folder on a FAT32-partition for both installations. The problem under windows 7, when i start to sync, is now this:

No chrome package registered for chrome://susefox/content/suselogo32.png

The synchronization stops. Zotero seems to have some problems with the linux stuff?!
The Report ID is: 1014954833

The Synchronization worked until today with no problems. Today i had first a problem with the skype-plugin, but i was able to solve it. Then i had some problems with java, but i can't reproduce it.... now this. I'm looking forward to the next problem. ;-)

Edit: A second Report ID is 908982547. There are even more errors.
  • What's the actual error you're getting from Zotero? I see a couple error messages in that report that indicate that you have last names that are too long. See the error message when you click on the sync error icon.
  • edited December 17, 2009
    Okay, with linux i get this error:

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: 54a7b78b)' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "XML- oder Text-Deklaration nicht am Beginn der Entität" {file: "http://news.opensuse.org/feed/" line: 2 column: 1 source: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>"}]

Report-ID: 1137540182

(sorry, i'm a german user) btw: it would be nice, if the report-text and report-id would be on the same page.

Too long last names? I'm collecting things from archives.gov and there are very long author names.
    For example: "Department of the Treasury. U.S. Savings Bonds Division. U.S. Savings Bonds Division for New York. (ca. 1944 - ca. 1959)"
    That's really long, right.
  • Oh, actually, it looks like the sync server wasn't properly returning a more helpful error message for long author names. Try again now and check the error.

(Your example isn't actually very long, but you likely have one much longer.)
  • btw: it would be nice, if the report-text and report-id would be on the same page.
    (You never need to paste content from the error report here—just the Report ID. I asked for the error you were actually seeing because there were no Zotero errors in your original report.)
  • Yes, sorry. I actually noticed, that the report records nearly everything going wrong with firefox.

Well, at the moment i get no errors and zotero is syncing and syncing...but, if i go to "My Library" on zotero.org there are no new items. Perhaps it takes some time.

Thank you for your help and thank you for zotero, it makes the life as a student much more easier.

... still syncing ...
  • edited December 17, 2009
    I activated the Debug Output Logging. Debug ID: D68945367. I don't know if that helps.

Edit: This is after a restart of firefox: D338094740.
  • Now i get this error:

Last name 'Department of the Interior. National Park Service.…' too long

Report ID: 1366799945

I cutted all last names to "Department of the Interior. National Park Service. (1934 - )" or shorter, but the error comes still up.
  • A long version of that creator is still associated with items in your trash. Empty your trash.
  • Thanks, the sync works. But what will be with the "too long names" in the future? Would it be possible to add an option "cut too long names"?
  • It will tell you what the long names are—it was just a bug that it wasn't doing so.

The current limit on first and last names on the server is 255 characters (separately), which is pretty long, so this should be pretty rare. Generally speaking, if names over 255 characters are getting into the field, it's probably a bug in the site translator.
  • Apart from the syncing errors and zotero stuff, sharing firefox-profiles between different operating systems isn't really the right way to do. Some firefox add-ons work differently in different OS'es, or don't even have a counterpart on the other OS. Susefox is, for example, a linux-only add-on to integrate firefox more tightly into the distribution. Moreover, if you are running KDE on opensuse 11.2 you will have a opensuse-manipulated version of firefox (for example, the open/save file dialogs are in KDE-style, not gtk). You might run into more problems when using a common profile (and apparently you do ;-).

In my opinion, the correct way to have separate profile on each OS and to synchronise only bookmarks and such (maybe using symlinks? or using mozilla weave?). For zotero, you can share zoteros data directory easily.