Please make Zotero compatible with Wilson Web

Please make Zotero compatible with Wilson Web - Library Lit & Inf Full Text in particular. I have students requesting this feature. Thanks!
  • As of almost a year later, there still appears to be no response to this request. Wilson Web was also included in the previous "translators you'd like to see" posts, so it's not a new request. They publish a whole bunch of [subject] full text reference databases and are heavily used at many schools. Is there a reason that the service has not yet been addressed or even made it on to a list somewhere?
  • The primary issue with Wilson has been that they do not stick to the spec for exporting data to reference management tools. It may be possible to work around this, but it will most likely not be a straightforward project. I opened a ticket for the issue. https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1510
  • Thanks for the update! I'll keep an eye on the ticket.
  • Thank you for doing this. My research includes Wilson databases, and now I dread finding articles there. Anything you can do to help make it Zotero compatible would be appreciated.
  • I hope you'll do what it takes. I just finished teaching a class full of future librarians (and potential Zotero promoters!) who were not happy to see that their main research database was unable to work with Zotero.

At least, reading this thread, I can see why the so-called RIS option does not produce something readable by Zotero: it is not a standard RIS file that is produced.
  • If you really love Zotero and need to use Wilson Web AND you have access to RefWorks--you can always export from WW to RefWorks and then export from RefWorks to import to Zotero.

Granted, its not the pleasurable user experience that I love about Zotero, but it gets the job done.
  • As someone who does not have access to RefWorks, I am curious if anyone has found ANY other work arounds to this problem?

A few extra steps would be worth it not to having to give up Zotero just because I am working within Wilson Web.
  • There is a way, but it will take a bit of patience and diligence and some heavy hitting find and replace action.

You can use the generic function to "export to bibliographic software"

In the case of a reference I just looked up that created this:

TI: Gentle conquerors
    OT: P. Cushman, H. Keller and M. Curie
    JN: The Saturday Evening Post
    SO: The Saturday Evening Post v. 249 (July 1977) p. 80
    PY: 1977
    SU: Great men and women; Curie, Marie, 1867-1934; Keller, Helen, 1880-1968
    HSU: Great men and women
    PD: Illustration
    ISSN: 0048-9239
    DT: Feature Article
    UD: 20021123
    DER: 20000612
    IU: Readers' Guide Retrospective
    ORB: BBIR05684201; BRGR78029295
    AN: 197718200791036
    PURL: http://vnweb.hwwilsonweb.com/hww/jumpstart.jhtml?recid=0bc05f7a67b1790e569c7a03fef0c20e176553222f90d24c534f5c779b833a52e7fd007be2a1b017&fmt=C
    Link to Index Pages
    This is in a nonsense format. However, with a bit of work we can do find and replace functions to swap out each piece of this for the parts of RIS which Zotero can understand. For reference take a look at the field mappings between RIS and Zotero.

You would need to get it to look something like this.

TY - JOUR
    T1 - Gentle conquerors
    A1 - P. Cushman, H. Keller
    JF - The Saturday Evening Post
    PY - 1977
    KW - Great men and women
    Kw - Curie, Marie
    Kw - 1867-1934
    Kw - Keller, Helen
    Kw - 1880-1968
    SN - 0048-9239
    UR - http://vnweb.hwwilsonweb.com/hww/jumpstart.jhtml?recid=0bc05f7a67b1790e569c7a03fef0c20e176553222f90d24c534f5c779b833a52e7fd007be2a1b017&fmt=C
    ER -

This is a messy task. There will be data loss. However, you can migrate data this way. I did it a year ago with 80 items from readers guide retrospective and it just took some patience and a few tries at importing the data.
  • The other thread, https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1510, says that this issue was fixed by Wilson, but apparently it broke again or was never fixed.

I have the issue in the same database others have mentioned, Library Lit & Inf Full Text, accessed via the library catalog at the University of British Columbia.

I get the usual "Could not Save Item" error, but it seems to save some of the information correctly (Item type, Title, Author), but not the Publication, Volume, Issue, Pages, or Date. As for Publication, that's saved in Journal Abbr instead of Publication.