Upgrade to 2.07b.1, no more plugin

I have Windows XP SP2, running OpenOffice 3.1 and Firefox 3.5.

Things were all just rosy... then I was prompted to upgrade Zotero to 2.07b.1 and did so. Following this the plugin did not work, so I attempted to install the latest available from http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation. But this hasn't helped. Now I'm getting this error when attempting to use the toolbar in OpenOffice: "Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again." I attempted to upgrade the plugin, but the error remains. The current Firefox Add-on is OpenOffice Integration 3.0a2.

Clicking options, "Reinstall OpenOffice.org Components" gives me the error "Zotero OpenOffice Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred. Please ensure that OpenOffice is closed, then restart Firefox" every time, regardless of following these instructions and restarting.

I'm also not sure of what these settings should be:

Java URE Directory...?
soffice Executable Directory...?

I have tried multiple directories (particularly for the latter, including the "program" file) to no joy. Everything has been installed in default areas. I've hit the run around in circles stage now, so I hope someone has some insight.

Thanks so much!
  • Check Report Errors under the Zotero gear menu after clicking Reinstall OpenOffice.org Components. If there's an error, send it in and post the Report ID here.
  • Thanks Dan -

Report ID 1058531596.

MOST appreciated - the support through these forums is legendary.

Mark.
  • Fixed it - sorry for the hassle. I relocated the URE directory and soffice executable directory as per updated instructions, then reinstalled the plugin. No more worries!
  • Where exactly was the URE directory?
  • Hi,

I'm having a similar problem installing version 3.0a3 of the Word plug in in Windows XP. The message reads 'Zotero Word Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred...' I don't seem to be able to do anything that will permit the completion of the installation. I have tried a complete reinstallation of Zotero and the plug in but to no avail.

After an attempted reinstallation the generated error report number is 1488301471.

Ben
  • It looks like you don't have access to your Word Startup directory. Make sure you have access to this directory (you can open it by going to Start->Run and typing %AppData%\Microsoft\Word\Startup). Alternatively, you can try changing the Startup directory, located under Tools->Options->File Locations in Word 2003 or earlier, or Office Button->Word Options->Advanced->File Locations in Word 2007.
  • OK. I modified the Startup directory to Microsoft Office\Office 10 and this seems to have done something because I no longer get the 'Zotero Word Integration could not complete....' message. However, the installation of 3.0a3 has not worked because when I try to add a citation I now get a message saying that version 1.03b is not compatible with this version of zotero. Also, at one point I had two sets of the Zotero icons within word, both apparently version 1.03b (despite the fact that the recently installed version listed as version 3.03b in the add-ons window). I tried uninstalling one to rid myself of one set of icons, but could only remove a set by changing my startup directory to its original location. When I change it back to Microsoft Office/Office 10 I have two sets of icons again. Mozilla Add ons does not show version 1.03b so I cannot uninstall it. I would like to provide you with an error code but this is not an active option in Zotero at the moment. Is there another way to delete the 1.03b plugin. This seems to be the problem. I think.
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#incompatible_plugin
  • edited November 30, 2009
    I also get the error "Zotero Word Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred" every time Firefox starts, and it's beginning to annoy me. Especially since i already got it to work manually.
    I found a page that covered manual installation by putting the Zotero.dot file in the Word startup directory. That did the job, and i have the correct versions of both the Firefox plugin and the Word plugin (that's Firefox 3.5.5, zotero 2.0b7.5, Integration plugin 3.0a3 running on Windows XP and Office 2007) and everything just works actually, except for the Integration plugin that keeps complaining. I double checked that i have access to the Word startup directory (i copied the .dot file there, there's no read only attribute on either the file or the dir). There usually aren't any errors under the gear menu either but now i finally saw one and reported it with ID 342971030.
  • Hii,

I tried to insert a citation on Word 2003 running XP SP2 and I get an error message "An error occured communication with FireFox........ "

I have got Firefox running with Zotero enabled. Can someone please advise.

Terry
  • Tubeliar and terryjay: Please start new threads.
This discussion has been closed.