Is there an overview (list) with the translations for all CSL terms?

edited 9 days ago
I searched a lot but can't find any list so far.

I also noticed that not all terms are translated to German, e.g. the terms for "no-place" or "on". Most citation guides require the specification "o. O" (short) if there is no publisher-place given. And "on" (German "auf") is necessary for the citation of a webpage to use instead of the grammatically incorrect term "in".

I know that I can insert the translations in the CSL file myself, but shouldn't all terms be natively translated? Especially those standard terms?
  • edited 9 days ago
    There is a PR open for the new German terms I made a while ago:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/locales/pull/294

Let me know if anything needs changing.
  • edited 9 days ago
    Thanks for the links. I also noticed that the term "on" is more difficult than I thought. because it can be used as "auf" (e.g. "verfügbar auf YouTube") and "am" (e.g. "abgerufen am 01.01.2024"). But I think "auf" would be the best translation.

if I have time I will read the instructions and make some further suggestions. I think there are also a lot of terms missing for the different forms (long, short...). e.g. for the term "retrieved" it could be:

<term name="retrieved" form="long">Abrufdatum</term>
    or
    <term name="retrieved" form="long">Abruf am</term>
    and
    <term name="retrieved" form="short">Abruf</term>
    <term name="retrieved" form="verb">abgerufen am</term>
    <term name="retrieved" form="verb-short">abgerufen</term>

According to my understanding the "form=long" should be for subjects in these cases. But I see it can be difficult to agree on a term. Althought it would lead to a lot more versatility if every form ist filled with different terms.
  • I think you're overthinking this. Not every term needs or typically gets a short form. They make sense for abbreviations, not for (imo somewhat contrived) shorter versions of terms -- if they aren't easily predictable or translate readily between locales, they're little point in creating them. Especially for the various ways the retrieved/accessed gets used in styles, you're often just better off defining a custom term.
  • edited 8 days ago
    "Especially for the various ways the retrieved/accessed gets used in styles, you're often just better off defining a custom term."

I think you're right but that's my point. Currently it's not possible to produce a gramatically correct citation with the available terms. That's why I'm dependent on my own translations. Gramatically correct versions would be "Abrufdatum: 01.01.2024" ("access date: 01.01.2024") or "abgerufen am 01.01.2024" ("accessed on 01.01.2024").

Those short forms would be just an addition to this and would cover nearly all possible variations. The translation to other locales wouldn't be affected by this. This is why I think it's not a good argument that the forms aren't available in other locales. At the same time it would help to implement the terms used in german citations more easily.
  • Are there any plans to update the locator terms and ui labels? Most of them aren't translated whether frontend nor backend. I don't really see a point of using them but there isn't an option for individual entries.
  • I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but we are constantly you updating locales, yes
  • There are translations missing for e.g. appendix, equation and table. Those are used very often in engineering.
  • Which language?
    There is a bunch of PRs open for a variety of languages: https://github.com/citation-style-language/locales/pulls
  • They're missing in german.
  • Right, have a look at my link. I've prepared a PR for German.