One bibliography for multiple word docs?

Dearest zotero gurus, I am about to submit a book manuscript to a press. The press wants separate word files for each chapter and a single bibliography. Is there a way to do this in zotero?

I have searched the forums and it seems like the best way is to wait until I have absolutely certainly completed all of my drafting and then paste all the chapters into a "whole book" word file, generate a bibliography, and then copy that into a new word file. Does this seem about right or is there a less cumbersome way?

THANK YOU!
  • That's the way, yes.
  • That is one option.
    You could also have all your paperd cited in a collection and then create a bibliography via right click and paste it where you need it.
  • Thanks, Dstillman adn Damnation!

Damnation, I am not totally sure what you mean. My citations all come from one enormous collection (say 3k entries) but I probably only use a third for this project. Is there a way to reverse-add-to-collection from word?

Sorry, that's probably phrased poorly-- what I mean is, is there a way to "create a collection" from within a word doc and then add the citations from other word docs to that collection?

Thank you again. Even though switching from endnote was tedious, I am so glad I did it. Zotero is AMAZING.
  • Yes, using this tool and "Select in Zotero":
    https://rintze.zelle.me/ref-extractor/
  • But there's not necessarily much point to that. To use Reference Extractor, you would need to either combine all the chapters into a single document (in which case you can just click Add/Edit Bibliography) or run it on each chapter individually and drag the items into a single collection in Zotero (which seems like more work).

The main reason I can think of to use Reference Extractor for this would be if Add/Edit Bibliography was just taking prohibitively long (e.g., in a huge document in Mac Word, which unfortunately can be very slow).
  • ok. I think I get the plan. Thank you so much!
  • I found a solution (albeit a bit of a time consuming one) to this so sharing.

The problem: two documents, two different word templates demanded by journal, two final files needed, one reference list required that covers both files as if they were one continuous one.

So...
    Get final version of both. Combine using section breaks to conserve formatting and page numbering etc on both docs. Update references in word. Insert the combined bibliography where you need it. Make sure not duplicated at the end of the original second doc (mine was as hangover from having it there in the past). Check the hell out of it. Save a copy with a naming suffix that makes it really clear what you are about to do eg 'with zotero links removed'.

Then in that new file... remove field codes using the 'unlink citations' button. Poof, all that good stuff gone. But also, now when you split your document again the ref list and citations in the text stay exactly as they were. I did this by keeping a combined one and making two copies, deleting the first part of one and the second part of the other. But you can probably do it more efficiently.

Assuming you are doing this to conform to the ludicrous demands of a journal, you must assume you will need to revise the document many times. So make a readme file to remind your future self which the actual, useful, zotero-linked version you need to go back to is (and how to do it all over again).

Good luck!