Documentation in different languages

Are there any plans to start hosting documentation in additional languages at zotero.org itself, or do you intend to only provide links to other websites that host documentation in different languages (as it is done now: http://www.zotero.org/documentation/quickstart_guides_in_other_languages)?

I'm working on Babelzilla to provide the Dutch locale for Zotero, and I think localized Quick Start Guides would be very helpful in attracting foreign users. Hosting these (translated) guides on zotero.org would probably make them easier to find and to maintain.
  • edited August 26, 2007
    We would be delighted to host Quick Start Guides in other languages. The guides we link to aren't translations of our English-language Quick Start Guide, but are very good introductions to the software. Anyway, if you can provide a translation of the text on the Quick Start Guide page, we can post it to a parallel page. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Could you perhaps supply me with the Shakespeare-library that was used for the English Quick Start Guide? It would save me some time fabricating an suitable example library with sub-folders, notes and the like. I guess this should be relatively easy using RDF import/export.
  • edited August 29, 2007
    Here you go. This is a zip of the entire zotero folder and this is a zip of the RDF export from that collection. Can I be of any other assistance?
  • I've written an initial version of the Dutch quickstart-guide (in the end I fabricated my own library, as I had some extra time on my hands). I still have to polish it up a bit, but before I spend too much time on the layout I was wondering what would be the preferred format for publishing on the Zotero website, and how we shall go about updating the guide as Zotero developes further.

With Google Docs I can export to HTML. An alternative would be that I upload the guide myself to the docuwiki. I don't know how you feel about that (it probably depends on whether you can give me limited rights for altering the docuwiki).

The document can be browsed at:
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg6h9k72_2vqvrjj

I've combined the About-section of this website and the quickstart-guide, as the latter doesn't really give a general introduction to the software.
  • When translating the Quick Start Guide I came across two typos/errors, perhaps these can be fixed:

- preform should be perform (in "preform advanced searches")
    - the snapshot icon is incorrectly (it should be the webpage with the camera). This error is both present just above the line "these are just the most popular item types" and in the "Archive the Web"-paragraph ("To see the page as it was on the day you captured it double click the snapshot icon")
  • Thanks for catching these errors. I've fixed them.

I don't speak Dutch but at least from a skim of the screenshots and the sections the draft of the Quick Start Guide looks good. I wonder if we should move the "what is Zotero" and installation sections to their respective places in the documentation rather than in the QSG.

If you feel OK with this draft, we'll try to get it up on the site as soon as possible.
  • Can you add the translated QSG to the site based on the Google Docs-document or would you like to have it in another format?

I still have to polish the text and layout a bit but I'll let you know when I'm done with that.
  • We should be able to add it from the Google Docs doc. Just let us know when you're ready, and thanks again!
  • It´s done.
  • Great I will move it over today or tomorrow.
  • I moved it over. You can now find it here.

http://www.zotero.org/documentation/beknopte_handleiding_zotero

It should be just about exactly the same as the google doc. If there are any errors feel free to post them here and I can fix it, or feel free to email me. trevor@zotero.org

Thanks!