Fail to sync with InifiniCloud WebDAV - intermediate certificate issue

edited August 9, 2024
[Admin Note: Fixed in Zotero 7.]

I've been using Zotero with syncing through WebDAV (InifiniCloud) for several months, and everything has been working great. However, the last successful sync between my iPad and Windows PC was about 72 hours ago, and certificate issue as below has suddenly occurred.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u14294938/vklcys47xs79eh65ux5u.jpg

I've refer to several post and the closest error as what I'm facing is from this Documentation.
https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/incomplete_cert_chain

According to the documentation, intermediate certificates might seeing “Chain issues: Incomplete” in orange under “Additional Certificates (if supplied)” when verify through SSL Labs server test, however when I check through the test, my domain doesn't shows error in Chain issues.

Instead, I'm seeing it has a CRL ERROR: IOException occurred as shown below.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u14294938/1ce4hhuyypkzz8b4j1h0.png
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u14294938/qjzxe44j5mkohpp3bl0j.png

I'm not sure whether this is the main reason for the failure or if it's related to an issue with InfiniCloud or Zotero and thus posting this thread here to seek assistance.

Any discussion or guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • edited July 30, 2024
    [Merged into this thread]

aki.teracloud.jp uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
    The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
    An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I'm not using any proxy or VPN, and of course, the net is good. I tried to copy the override document from Firefox to the Zotero directory as per the official instructions for the safety certificate problem. But it doesn't work. Thank you in advance.

• edited July 30, 2024

In the past year or so, I have been using Infinicloud as the online file synchronization platform for Zotero without encountering any issues. Today, while using Zotero normally, I suddenly received the following message:

```
    ogi.teracloud.jp uses an invalid security certificate.

```

No matter how many times I restart the software and device, or reinstall the software, this issue cannot be resolved. However, if I directly access the WebDAV link via a browser and enter the correct ID and password, I can directly access my online library, which confuses me. I hope to receive a response. Thank you.
  • edited July 30, 2024
    +1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Problem in Zotero; Joplin with Infini Cloud works well.
  • meet the same issue , i think all we can do is waiting
  • edited July 30, 2024

==================================
    seto.teracloud.jp uses an invalid security certificate.

==================================

It just happend since last night. I see other users are reporting the issue. Is this caused by Teracloud?
  • edited July 30, 2024
    Already reported several times:

[merged threads removed]
  • edited July 30, 2024
    Anyhow just for those who facing similar issue, I've contact infinicloud too on this issue and currently waiting for their respond.
  • I got the problem too.TAT TAT
  • Same problem
  • Hi all, I've get feedback from Infini Cloud and seems like this issue is claimed to appear from Zotero side.... Any idea to solve this?

"
    Thank you for contacting InfiniCLOUD Support.

Unfortunately, this appears to be an issue from Zotero's side, not InfiniCLOUD.

We have noticed that since the Beta release of Zotero 7, issues with Zotero 6 has occurred more frequently.

While we can not 100% confirm, it does appear that certain credentials from Zotero's side have not been kept up-to-date, causing this particular issue.

We advise reaching out directly to Zotero to find a solution.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
    "
  • edited August 3, 2024
    It looks like InfiniCLOUD just switched to a new site security certificate that depends on a root certificate that's not available in Zotero 6. (Nothing to do with "credentials".)

For now, you can use the Zotero 7 beta and switch back to the release version when Zotero 7 is released. (Update: Advanced users can follow the steps below to add the root certificate to Zotero 6 manually, but we recommend just using the beta.)
  • @dstillman This advice works!
    And the UI of Zotero 7 beta is much better :)
  • I also have this problem. Is it only possible to switch versions and reinstall Zotero 7? Then do I have to reinstall all kinds of plug-ins?
  • @dstillman, thanks for the advice. it is working now.
    @zhaozhibo, not all the plug-ins are supported in Zotero 7. Better BibTex automatically updated and working for me. However, Zotero PDF Preview and some others are not working and are showing "Zotero PDF Preview (disabled)" in my case.
  • Attachments preview (PDF HTML EPUB) is a builtin feature in Zotero 7beta.55+. All of the plugins for Zotero7 is refactored, so users have to reinstall the plugins designed for Zotero7. To my knowledge, most plugins already support zotero7 very well.
  • Have the developers confirmed that they won’t fix this bug in Zotero 6? I don’t want to use the beta version of Zotero 7 yet. I’d rather wait for the official release of Zotero 7 before upgrading (P.S.: I have no idea when the official version will be released, and I'm anxiously waiting).
  • Almost certainly won't get fixed in Zotero 6.
  • This question had troubled me for two days, but I just resolved it (in Zotero 6).

Here are the steps:

1. Download Firefox, open InifiniCloud in it, and click the lock icon next to the address bar.
    2. Click "Connection Secure" - "More information" - "View Certificate".
    3. In the opened page, click the "GlobalSign GCC R6 AlphaSSL CA 2023" tab, and download the "PEM (cert)" certificate under "Miscellaneous".
    4. Import the certificate into Firefox: Click the menu button (three horizontal lines) at the top right of Firefox, select "Settings". In the left menu, choose "Privacy & Security". Scroll down to the "Certificates" section, click "View Certificates". In the "Certificate Manager" window, select the "Authorities" tab. Click the "Import" button, select and import the previously exported certificate file.
    5. In the Firefox address bar, type "about:support", find the Profile Folder, and open this folder. Find the cert9.db, key4.db, and pkcs11.txt files, and copy them to the Zotero profile directory (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/profile_directory).
    6. Restart Zotero, re-enter your account information, and then verify the server.
    7. Success!

• edited July 31, 2024
    lisheng.zhou's method is very good and practical, perfectly solved the synchronisation problem, thank you very much!
  • @LVWENMING you are welcome!

For Mac users, security.enterprise_roots.enabled should be set to 'false' in about:config after Firefox installation and can be reset after.
  • edited August 1, 2024
    @lisheng.zhou This is a great solution. Thank you!

> If you get a warning about an existing certificate after "Click the "Import" button, select and import the previously exported certificate file. "
    > delete it and try again.
  • @lisheng.zhou The problem has been solved according to your method, thank you
  • @lisheng.zhou This is a great solution. Thank you!
  • @lisheng.zhou 's solution worked for me. Thanks a lot!
  • @lisheng.zhou This is a great solution. Thank you!
  • @lisheng.zhou Although take some time. Absolutely a great solution. Thank you!
  • @connorH9 @zhaozhibo @shan1655 @ikoanymg @xiaozile @krathhong

Thank you for letting me know. Glad to know that it helps!
  • edited August 2, 2024
    1. when i import the certificate in certificate mananger, it shows "This is not a certificate authority certificate, so it can’t be imported into the certificate authority list.". does any one have this problem?---------------solved

Still not work for me

Thanks
  • @king2756, you likely downloaded the wrong certificate, go to https://infini-cloud.net/ and follow the procedure, don't forget to click on the "GlobalSign GCC R6 AlphaSSL CA 2023" tab, the certificate you download should be named infini-cloud-net.pem not teracloud-jp.pem
    Hope it solves it for you!
  • edited August 9, 2024
    Many more posts to this thread in the moderation queue from people having trouble with this, including people breaking Zotero data syncing, so I'm going to close this thread.

The workaround from @lisheng.zhou for Zotero 6 is correct and will work, but messing with the Firefox and/or Zotero certificate settings without understanding what you're doing is a really bad idea. If you're at all unclear on this, please just use the Zotero 7 beta for now — which is much safer than altering certificate settings — and switch to the release version of Zotero 7 when it comes out.

Update: Zotero 7 is now available.
This discussion has been closed.