Autosupport of more Material

Would be cool if Zoterto can handle more different material types by itself. Here some examples:

* Auto recognition of Blogposts with Author Informations
* Metadata extraction of jpegs
* Metadata extraction of MP3
* Recognition of GoogleVideo and YouTube
* Import from social bookmarking systems
* Handling for Presentations (eg. Powerpoints, OpenOffice and SlideShare)
  • here here! Metadata extraction of standardized file types, especially widely circulated ones like jpg and mp3, should be on the "urgent" list for automation.
  • * Auto recognition of Blogposts with Author Informations
    There are many different blogging platforms. Zotero already can scrape from some sites (such as blogger) & there are plugins to add COinS and/or unAPI to your blogging platform.
    * Metadata extraction of jpegs
    * Metadata extraction of MP3
    As far as I know, no such functionality exists in firefox. There is another thread on making a document indexing extensible (to support, for example, Word DOCs via wv/antiword/catdoc) & perhaps this request should be expanded to allow some simple user-defined scripts to extract metadata via third party apps too.
    * Recognition of GoogleVideo and YouTube
    YouTube should already be supported.
    * Import from social bookmarking systems
    There are threads discussing this request, particularly for del.icio.us. CiteULike & other academic bookmarking systems are already supported.
    * Handling for Presentations (eg. Powerpoints, OpenOffice and SlideShare)
    Again, firefox has no support for PPT or ODP. There are a few command line tools (though they are generally not as mature as those for DOC/PDF) that may allow indexing. I have no clue how you'd get metadata easily.
  • noksagt said, re: JPEGs and MP3:
    "As far as I know, no such functionality exists in firefox."

There are, however, open-source Firefox plugins that support this (see Exif viewer: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905); perhaps licensing would work out to use that JavaScript code for media metadata?