How to ensure all files are saved and not lost

Can i save my zotero data directory under a onedrive folder?
or can i save all my PDFs and files under a onedrive folder?
What is linked attachment base directory is this my files and where they are saved?
Thank you!!
  • See https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#backing_up_your_zotero_data for backing up.
    The linked attachment base directory is an advanced setting that's not relevant if you're using Zotero storage.
    No, you should very likely not place your Zotero folder into OneDrive.
  • Hi i am not very computer savvy. How can i do the backup of my files i read the article and im still confused.
    1. Do i do a manual copy and paste of everything to a External HDD or Cloud like onedrive?
    2. Is there any recommended automated full-system backup for windows?
    3. Is it enough just to use the sync functionaility?
  • Gentle reminder
  • Noted i just don't want to lose my work again so making sure all backed up. I've had a nightmare with losing my work done in the last month so making sure all avenues are covered
  • Sorry, but we can't provide general computing guidance here.

Syncing vs. backup is explained in the linked section.
  • Hi @dstillman - my questions were raised after reviewing the linked section?
  • OK, then you should read it again. Your syncing vs. backup question is answered in the first paragraph.
  • Fwiw, Windows has a built in backup tool you can use
  • edited July 2, 2024
    1. The link offers two common scenarios:
    (a) back up your whole computer (ie so you have a back up of everything you have, not just Zotero), or
    (b) back up your Zotero data directory (including everything under it).
    For '(b)', you could indeed regularly make a simple copy to an external hard disk or a cloud storage service as you say, but that's rather inefficient. To avoid re-copying files every time that have not changed, there are apps like FreeFileSync (use left to right Mirror). But of course with only a single copy, any mistaken data deletion (of items no longer in Zotero trash) could be inadvertently copied to your backup.

2. There is Microsoft's Windows Backup (for W10/W11) for option '(a)', but I don't know many people who use it (maybe there are, I just don't know them). It backs up to Onedrive, where you only get 5gb space for free. There are many alternatives. If you're unsure, talk to your IT dept or someone experienced. Incremental or iterative backup systems allow you to back up multiple copies very efficiently space-wise, and allow you to go back to different points in time if you ever need to.

3. Syncing via Zotero online storage helps, although it's not intended as a backup. So it's not really enough. If you mistakenly delete some or all of your library, syncing might have already mirrored that loss to online before you notice it (although there are some short-term database backups in your Zotero data folder).
  • edited July 2, 2024
    Thanks @tim820 this has cleared up my question and concerns. I will speak to my work IT as im not sure if windows backup is for corporate laptops