This item no longer exists in your Zotero database

I've recently updated to 2.0b7 and the associated Word update in Firefox. When opening a document that was first done in version 1, I am asked whether I want to upgrade the doc to work with Zotero 2.0b7 or later. I click OK.

Then for each citation in the document, I am told "This item no longer exists in your Zotero database. Do you want to select a substitute item?" What happened? Are there alternatives to doing this for every citation?
  • Here's a little more data about the problem...

On my original computer running Word 2003, I have no issues. This is the computer that the initial database resides and the one where the doc was created.

I'm having issues the above issues on a separate computer running Word 2007 with the synced database.
  • Can you send an excerpt of the document that exhibits the problem to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread?

Also, just to clarify, you created the second database by syncing via the server, right?
  • Yes, the second database (the one with problems) was created by syncing via the server. The document is on its way.
  • edited September 24, 2009
    Oh—you need to upgrade the document on the computer with the original database, and then use that file. (This is only an issue coming from 1.0, as 2.0 uses a more reliable method for identifying citations.)
  • Once that is done then, can the file be used on any of the computers that are synced with the 2.0 version?
  • I think that I am having the same problem. I am using my M.A. thesis to write an article, so I am copying and pasting alot of text with citations. In both the old and the new document Zotero is telling me that the items no longer exist in my library. As far as I know I have never exported and reimported by DB.I do use Zotero on several computers, but I am working on the computer that the document was created on. Any suggestions?
  • edited November 13, 2009
    If you send an excerpt of the old document to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread, we can take a look. Alternatively, just select a citation, right-click, Toggle Field Codes, and copy and paste the full field code into here.