Can't save PDFs from ScienceDirect using connector from Chrome

Hi, I updated this week to Zotero 7 because v6 wasn't saving correctly papers from Science Direct into my library using the Zotero connector. Specifically, I press the connector, and it only saves the metadata and a captcha but not the PDF. I have to download the PDF and attach it manually to the parent file. I use Zotero Connector v5.0.123 with Chrome v124.0.6367.201 on a Macbook with Sonama 14.4.
  • What exactly happens? Do you get a red X in the save popup, or does it not try to download the PDF at all?

This is with the Zotero 7 beta? Zotero 6 won't work with ScienceDirect anymore.

Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for reloading the page in Chrome and trying to save?
  • I press the connector, it saves the captcha and metadata and not the pdf, then a pop-up window appears in Zotero asking you a robot? I press, then ask to find my university, then ask me to login, I successfully login, then the pop-up window shows the same page as in Chrome, but does not download the pdf.

I use Zotero 7 beta.

ID: D1696646206
  • Do you use the Institutional Access on ScienceDirect to access the PDF files?
    It sounds similar to this:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/112182/zotero-7-beta-sciencedirect-cannot-recognize-institutional-access-through-the-captcha-page
  • I use institutional access, yes. And yes, I have the same problem as the people in the post you sent.
  • We're working on changing how Zotero downloads attachments to better handle situations where the file is accessible in the browser but won't download to the Zotero app. For now, if it's not working in Zotero 7, you'll need to download the file separately and drag that to the saved item in Zotero.