Add month and day to Reports in APA 7th CSL

Hi there,

I'd like to edit the CSL for APA 7th edition so that Reports render with the month and day at the end of the citation if provided in the Date field. I think the correct way to do it would be to edit the macro for publisher:

<macro name="publisher">
<group delimiter="; ">
<choose>
<if type="thesis">
<choose>
<if variable="archive DOI URL" match="none">
<text variable="publisher"/>
</if>
</choose>
</if>
<else-if type="post webpage" match="any">
<group delimiter="; ">
<text variable="container-title" text-case="title"/>
</group>
</else-if>
<else-if type="paper-conference">
<choose>
<if variable="collection-editor editor editorial-director" match="any">
</if>
</choose>
</else-if>
<else-if type="article-journal article-magazine article-newspaper post-weblog" match="none">
</else-if>
</choose>
<group delimiter=", ">
<choose>
<if variable="archive-place">
<text variable="archive_location"/>
</if>
</choose>
<text variable="archive"/>
<text variable="archive-place"/>
</group>
</group>
</macro>

but I'm unsure the best spot to insert the following:

<else-if type="report" match="any">
<group delimiter=", " prefix=". " suffix=".">
<text variable="publisher-place"/>
<date variable="issued">
<date-part name="month"/>
<date-part name="day" prefix=" "/>
</date>
</group>
</else-if>

Should it be after this?

</else-if>
<else-if type="article-journal article-magazine article-newspaper post-weblog" match="none">
</else-if>

Thanks for your help!
  • Can you provide more context on why you want to add this? The APA manual makes it clear that only the year should be given for reports. Is this for a specific publisher or journal?

The correct macro to edit is “date-bib”
  • Sure, I can provide more context. My company developed a first version of a global reference style and I was told it was a simplified version of APA 7th, so I began using that style then customizing to fit what our editorial team envisioned. However, I have a large group of colleagues who require the month and day at the end of the citation for the types of reports they produce, so I am trying to accommodate them.

To be clear, I don't want to add this info to the year in the citation, I want to put it at the very end, after publisher. Would "date-bib" still be the right spot to edit? Thanks!
  • Hi there,

Do you guys have any further input on this? If not, I'll go ahead and revise based on my understanding; I just thought I'd try to prevent frustration and issues later by getting good instruction now. Regardless, thank you for your help!
  • How should this look, could you provide an example? Dates are never at the end in APA (other then retrieved dates when they're used), so this is a bit unusual.
  • Sure.

ATSDR. 2019. An overview of the science and guidance for clinicians on per-and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). U.S Department of Health and Human Services. December 6. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/pfas/docs/clinical-guidance-12-20-2019.pdf

If this is something that is too difficult to do in APA because of the way that guidance is written, please let me know and I can discuss with my colleagues. Thanks!
  • edited 5 days ago
    And you sure they want APA otherwise? Because that looks like Chicago Manual (author date) -- APA also has the beginning date in parentheses.

This is certainly _possible_ in APA, but it is quite awkward. The standard way of adding precise dates in APA would be

ATSDR. (2019, December 6). An overview of the science and guidance for clinicians on per-and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). U.S Department of Health and Human Services. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/pfas/docs/clinical-guidance-12-20-2019.pdf
  • I think I can get folks on board with putting the month and day with the year in the bibliography, but if I edit "date-bib", will the in-text citations still only provide the year? Thanks for helping me work through this.
  • Yes, bib-date.is only for the bibliography -- bwiernik named these intuitively.
  • Perfect. The edit was super easy. Thanks to you both!