Website Citation

When I save a webpage in the zotero database using the browser connector, it is saved with the name of the website. When I want to cite it in a report, in the bibliography also the title of the webpage appears. I would like to have the page stored under the url name and have it appear like that in the bibliography along with the notation accessed how do I do that without having to manually edit the item in the database?
  • You can certainly edit a citation style to only print URL and access date for web pages if that's what you want? It'd be unusual, but possible.
    Storing a webpage without its title automatically isn't possible though
  • What would be the 'usual' way and how would the citation in the bibliography look like then?
  • Like the other item types, with author, date, title, containter title, but also the URL and accessed date are the most common one.
    E.g.:
    Dockray, Heather. 2018. Lesbian couple paints house rainbow to troll homophobic neighbors. Mashable Blog. https://mashable.com/article/homophobia-couple-rainbow-house-troll/?europe=true&utm_cid=hp-r-1. Zugegriffen: 1.9.2018.
  • edited March 13, 2024
    How do I set zotero up to include all that in the bibliography? With my actual settings only the title appears. When I go to Edit>Preferences>Cite I can't find a way to change the layout of the bibliography. When I change the selection in the style manager, nothing happens.
  • So, the above example is how APA would render this. Does your item actually have this data filled in?
  • You'd need to complete missing information: most websites won't auto-populate with great metadata, but you can typically find out author, publication data, and website name quickly. (Zotero does try to import those where they're available in a standardized format)
  • yes, the data are present in the database. I am currently fiddling around with the settings. I found out that in the document you have to go to the 'Zotero' pull down menue point 'Document Preferences', then you can make changes. What I want is in the text a superscript number and in the bibliography the whole citation. So far I haven't tried the APA style, I have tried 'Nature' and the 'Chicago manual of Style' versions. I'll let you know what happens with APA.
  • Here is a list of so-called numeric styles that will have plenty of superscript ones:
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?format=numeric&dependent=0
  • edited March 13, 2024
    Thanks a lot, damnation, I picked ISO-690 (alphanumeric, English) that does what I want. For people who might have the same problem:
    First in your application (I use the Linux desktop installation) you go to Edit>Preferences>Cite
    Then you click on 'Get additional styles' and add the style you want. The dialog that opens hast the option to search and if you hover over a selection you get a pop up describing what the style does.
    After this you go to your google document and select 'Document Preferences' from the Zotero drop down menue. Here you can select the newly added style and things should work.
    In order to make Zotero work with Google docs, you have to install the browser connector for your web browser (I use Google Chrome). To do that you open your desktop installation and go to Tools>Install Browser Connector.
  • Hi! I have the same inquiry than @ewaldf. I have a modified Council of Science Editors style.
    Thanks!
  • This is an extended exchange, not a simple inquiry -- could you just say what specifically you're trying to do and for what purpose?
  • Sorry. I have several websites that I want to cite in my book. I have included their links and additiona information in my library. However, when I generate the bibliography, the links are not shown. I am using a modified version of the Council of Science Editors style.
  • Also, and a second question somehow related. I have added a modified version of this CSE style to Zotero, but everytime I quit the program, this modified
    style dissappears.
  • I have added a modified version of this CSE style to Zotero, but everytime I quit the program, this modified
    style dissappears.
    As I mentioned in your other thread, you need to change both the title and the ID of the custom style. See the instructions linked there for details.

For the other issue, we'd have to see your style. The standard CSE author-date/name-year style includes URLs for all item types (as long as they're in the metadata, of course)
  • 2. You need to change the self link and ID so Zotero knows it's a different style.

1. Share your code via pastebin.com and we can actually see what's going on and give specific help.
  • Many thanks! I have not used pastebin before. I have created an account and pasted the code. I hope you can read it?
  • We'd need the link here
  • l. 72 should be if variable="accessed"
    (the current style also shouldn't validate & validation would have helped you catch this https://validator.citationstyles.org/ )
  • How could I fix the error on line 72 please? (I know very little of programming, sorry).
  • that's what I was trying to tell you. It currently says variable="access" -- that's not something that exists so that "if" is never the case and you never get a URL.
    It needs to be variable="accessed"
  • Thanks a lot! (I am not sure where to add the different ID to this modified style please)
  • Many thanks!