Issues with importing .ris files

When I find sources, I am used to downloading the .ris file. I have recently switched to zotero. When I was using mendeley, I could drag and drop the .ris file onto mendeley, and the source would appear. When I do that with zotero, I see this:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u6470125/bngwkl2kj7d4umqu8ijf.jpg
I have learned that if I right-click on it and select "view file," I am given this option:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u6470125/jvk8scywtwhinaje92sg.png
Once I use this screen to import, I then need to delete the .ris file as seen in the first image.

This process is clunkier than a drag and drop. Is there a way to make zotero "read" the .ris file and import the file as an actual citation, or do I need to go through the process I outlined above each time?

Thank you!
  • At a minimum, you should be able to associate RIS files with Zotero (Zotero will do this by default) so that opening an RIS file (double-clicking it) imports it.

But where are you importing these from? There's usually a simpler way.
  • edited 22 days ago
    I think there's some confusion here.

First, the way you save to Zotero, primarily, is by using the Zotero Connector and clicking the Save to Zotero button while on a webpage, not by importing RIS files. You should read through Adding Items to Zotero to make sure you understand how Zotero is meant to be used.

If you actually did need to import a RIS file (e.g., because a site wasn't supported or you were exporting many items at once), on some websites the Zotero Connector can simply prompt you in the browser whether you want to import the RIS data without even downloading it to disk. But that depends on whether the website is serving the RIS file correctly.

If you really did need to download the RIS file to disk, you can import it by either double-clicking on it — assuming Zotero is set as the default program, which it is by default — or use File → Import from within Zotero.

Under no circumstances would you drag the RIS file into Zotero. That would just add it as a file attachment, like a PDF or any other file on disk. We could have Zotero detect that a dragged file was RIS, BibTeX, etc., but someone could in theory want to add an importable file as an attachment, and this would prevent that. In any case, there's just not much reason to use drag-and-drop here — there are much easier ways to get data into Zotero.
  • Wonderful, thank you both!