[Zotero 7 Beta] Unresponsive during Advanced Search

Steps to reproduce
1) In Advanced Search, use the option Match -> any
2) Make a simple search, for example "Moisture in Textiles" in Title -> contains
3) Press Enter
4) Press + on the right-hand side of the search line
-> This triggers a new search with the empty field, making Zotero unresponsive:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u265723/8v9kmqmhg8mo3bzfw5vj.png

The search results should not be updated by pressing +, without pressing Enter. But there may be other issues leading to this freezing behaviour.

Debug ID: D15812079
Zotero 7.0.0-beta.71+03d0ea436 (64-bit)
Windows 10
  • This should be fixed now in beta 73.
  • Thank you. The first part is indeed fixed: the second search is triggered only after pressing Enter and not automatically after pressing + as before.

But I think that there are still more problems here.
    If I do the same search as above, but press Enter in the empty second line, I still get Zotero to become unresponsive.
    Also, whenever I switch between the Advanced Search window and the main Zotero window, the CPU usage goes up very high without any apparent reason, making the navigation process in the main Zotero window impossible. Here is what I get without doing anything else in Zotero than the Advanced Search shown in the first post, by just switching between windows:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u265723/fuvi92kbyr0x57df7vht.png

I have a large library (16k items), and this is a very demanding search, so I understand that the actual search can be a bit slow. But Zotero should not become unresponsive anymore after finishing the search. The switch between windows should not trigger very demanding operations.

A variation of the first problem:
    1) In Advanced Search, use the option Match -> all
    2) Make a simple search, for example "Moisture in Textiles" in Title -> contains
    3) Press Enter
    4) Press + on the right-hand side of the search line
    5) Switch to Match -> any
    -> This triggers a new search with the empty field, making Zotero unresponsive, even though I had not pressed Enter in the empty search.
  • Can you reproduce this in Troubleshooting Mode (Help -> Restart in Troubleshooting Mode)? If so, can you submit a Debug ID from troubleshooting mode?
  • And a shorter one, only showing Zotero becoming unresponsive after pressing Enter in the empty second line, without doing anything else:
    Debug ID: D1883318547
  • Does this only happen in Advanced Search? Is browsing your Zotero library fast? The window doesn't freeze completely, right? Only freezes for a minute and then resumes working?
  • Only in Advanced Search, for this specific search that returns the whole library.
    Here is what it looks like:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u265723/jixrnqx5uziiab8wnbs5.png

Browsing the library is fast as before.

All the Zotero windows freeze for some time (~30 seconds), and then react again. But the main issue is that as long as the Advanced Search is opened, any operation is extremely slow. Zotero is very sluggish and the freezing comes back multiple time as I do other things.
  • edited 20 days ago
    Here is a screen recording to illustrate.
  • Can you restart Zotero in troubleshooting mode again and make sure it is fully loaded (wait a few minutes), then submit a Debug ID for opening the Advanced Search dialog and performing the operations in the above window, waiting for the items to load, and then another 30s or so?
  • The Debug ID is D1470400115.

I have:
    1) Restarted Zotero in Troubleshooting Mode
    2) Waited for more than 5 minutes
    3) Performed the operations above, leading to Zotero becoming unresponsive and sluggish
    4) Waited for 1 minute
    5) Closed the Advanced Search window
    6) Submitted the Debug Ouput
  • This will be fixed in the next beta release. Thanks for the report!
  • It is working nicely now in the beta 74.
    Thank you.