Scan & OCR feature coming to Zotero? When?

Just curious on the intention and reality of a Scan and OCR feature for the PDF function of Zotero. It would be amazing to have it.
  • OCR is possible in Zotero 6 and 7 using this plugin https://github.com/UB-Mannheim/zotero-ocr

When you write "scan", what do you mean in the context of Zotero?
  • How has your experience been using this plugin? I have not used plugins before. I wonder how the updates for them are handled.

Scan? Scan would be interchange with the term OCR. I hope this helps.
  • edited 26 days ago
    I don't use the plugin myself except for testing purposes. So you are the only judge of your own experience... if it isn't right for you, you can uninstall it at any time.

Updates: the plugin developers release updates when the timing feels right to them (independent from the release cycle of Zotero). Then a mechanism is in place to automatically push the update to all users, and usually this works fairly well. Now for Zotero-OCR, the code has just been updated to use the new Zotero 7 system, so perhaps the next update will be less straightforward - but in any case the installed version should continue to work.
  • The update mechanism works better than fairly well, it is rock-solid, it's just not instantaneous. Zotero checks periodically whether plugin updates are available, and, if memory serves, should update within 48 hours. Users can manually trigger the check to get updates faster but generally don't need to.