Collection of images

Hi Zotero community,
maybe this is an issue that few have but I hope this thread might be helpful for somebody else. Working in a team with shared Group Library I was thinking of sharing valueable pictures of fossil specimens (i'm a paleontologist) between team mates.
I have noticed that:
- there is no category "Image" in the drop down menu of the metadata (makes sense but maybe it could be implementedin the future ...?). for the moment I use "Artwork" (which is fine).
- once I upload more than one image, Zotero desktop app creates as many folders as many images I imported. This implies i cannot browse easily between them as Zotero cannot read the and they thus open in the default image viewer. For the moment I manually copy-pasted every picture in a single folder (see attached pic).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u11781309/q2q5woi0ct3wwimxpbsw.png

This allows me to browse them more easily, as I can skip from one image to the next one, and so on. Nevertheless in this way the additional pictures are not synched with the Group Library on the web! (sigh)
In principle it is fine to have more subentries under the main title, as I can have different sites for a nominal species (i.e., more folders each one with multiple images inside). I just would like to know if there is a more rational/automatic way to include more than one picture under the same folder and have them synched online?

Thanks everybody, and thanks to Zotero Team for the awesome job

Saverio

• The ability to open all of an item's image-file attachments at once (from their individual folders under Zotero\storage) could be written in a plugin. Somewhat similar to the Preview plugin that displays one or more pages of a PDF in a Preview tab on the right pane of the main screen.

If Groups supported linked attachment files something similar would be easier to implement. A workaround would be to share with all group members a Dropbox or Google Drive parent folder containing one folder for each set of images. And then create a child note under its item in Zotero, with a path to that folder (which would have to be identical on each group member's computer). Use Insert Link with the replacement file:/// prefix as described here for Windows:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/107538/is-it-possible-to-add-a-hyperlink-in-zoteros-notes-to-open-a-local-file-and-jump-to-a-specific-page

Clicking on the link would open that folder in Windows File Explorer. If the folder is set to display Extra Large Icons (and the image file type is supported) you would have image previews displayed (as in your screen grab).

• Nice! Thanks tim820, I'll give it a try!
  • In the end I was not able to have it working with file:/// because other members of the group cannot access my local files, nor I like the visualization of Google Drive. I created an album on Google Photos (just because my University has a premium account). I hope in the future a plugin could help us in making things more straightforward.

Cheers