Out of memory and failed to submit the log

1711220257151 addons.xpi WARN Checking /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/distribution/extensions for addons

[JavaScript Error: "NS_NOINTERFACE: " {file: "resource://gre/modules/ComponentUtils.jsm" line: 90}]
createInstance@resource://gre/modules/ComponentUtils.jsm:90:36

1711220257731 addons.xpi WARN Addon with ID undefined already installed, older version will be disabled

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Addon must include an id, version, and type" {file: "resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm" line: 1710}]

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Addon must include an id, version, and type" {file: "resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm" line: 1710}]

[JavaScript Error: "out of memory"]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: out of memory"]

appName => Zotero, version => 7.0.0-beta.68+c31a40c74, os => macOS 14.3.1, locale => zh-CN, extensions => Jasminum (1.0.0-6, extension), Zotero PDF Preview (1.0.0-4, extension), Ethereal Style (3.1.0, extension), Wandering File (0.2.8, extension), Translate for Zotero (1.1.0-beta.37, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (6.7.172, extension)

(3)(+1938808): Writing reader state to /Users/mch/Zotero/storage/EBNFIRGJ/.zotero-reader-state

(3)(+0004535): {better-bibtex} +36858 emit: better-bibtex event emit window-loaded {"win":"[object Window]","href":"chrome://zotero/content/standalone/basicViewer.xhtml"}

(3)(+0000121): Running /usr/bin/sw_vers '-productVersion'

(3)(+0025723): HTTP POST "1711220257151 addons.xpi WARN …" (3392 chars) to https://repo.zotero.org/repo/report?debug=1
  • The problem I encountered was that the pdf could not be loaded.
  • We can only help with problems you can reproduce with all plugins disabled (Help → "Restart in Troubleshooting Mode…”).
  • close all plugin, problem still.
  • edited March 24, 2024
    Not sure what you mean by "close all plugin". Can you reproduce this in Troubleshooting Mode?

What are the exact steps to get it to occur from a fresh start in Troubleshooting Mode with only the library tab open? Is there a specific file you're opening that's triggering it? Does it happen if you temporarily disable auto-sync in the Sync pane of the settings?
  • Now when zotero browses PDFs on the Mac platform, the loading speed is very slow. Strictly speaking, this is not a bug, it is a problem that needs to be optimized. As a user of zotero on multiple platforms, it is obvious that the recent mac versions of zotero7 have been very slow when browsing PDFs.
  • No, there's no general problem on macOS — Zotero is largely developed on Macs, and there aren't other reports of this. If you're experiencing a problem and you'd like us to investigate it, you'll need to provide precise steps to reproduce, as I ask for above.
  • as show in youtube: https://youtu.be/yUiz50Cqb1s.

Is this normal for this software? I still can't believe it
  • Once again, it depends on what you're doing. I can only say this so many times: if you want us to investigate something, you need to tell us exactly how to reproduce, including any specific PDF or PDFs you're interacting with. You can link to specific PDFs here or send them to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread. But just repeating that Zotero is slow or uses lots of memory is not helpful. Obviously Zotero doesn't use 7 GB when you start it up with an empty library. So if you're seeing that, tell us how to reproduce it.
  • edited March 25, 2024
    And that screen recording is also not in Troubleshooting Mode, which you need to be using for all testing.
  • (It looks like that's a 635-page PDF with a huge number of mathematical equations. That may indeed be slow. But we'd have to see it to say more, and you'd have to say if you're doing more than just opening that one PDF in a tab.)
  • D1380955989

The steps to reproduce are as follows,
    1. Open zotero and open a few books.
    2. Turn pages quickly while reading.
    3. As the reading progresses, the PDF loads very slowly. At this time, the computer still has memory space.

I noticed that the sync logo in the upper right corner keeps spinning. Is it because automatic synchronization is enabled? I also noticed that the memory usage of the computer fluctuated between 4G and 7G.
  • I will provide pdf later
  • I have emailed you the book pdf.
    The problem isn't specific to a particular book; just a slightly larger book will be noticeably slower, even if the computer still has enough memory.
  • a new test: D1766873735

I reproduced the problem accurately and recorded the video. The PDFs with the problem were random. I also used the PDF reader that comes with Mac to open the PDFs that Zotero could not load, to show that there were no problems with these PDFs. the link of the video will post here soon.
  • D1766873735 is in Troubleshooting Mode. all log above is about the following step and the same problem:

1. Open zotero and open a few books.
    2. Turn pages quickly while reading.
    3. As the reading progresses, the PDF loads very slowly.

• edited March 25, 2024
    Preview is exceptionally fast, and it will likely always be much faster than Zotero — there's no way we can compete with the performance of the built-in native macOS reader.

Zotero should have roughly the performance you see in the built-in PDF reader in Firefox, on which it's based. If you see much better performance in Firefox, we'd want to know that and may be able to improve things. Note that Firefox loads PDFs in separate processes, whereas Zotero's reader tabs will currently show up in the single main entry in Activity Monitor:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/458674/#Comment_458674