Zotero becomes freezingly slow when laptop not connected to a docking station

Hi!

I have had this problem for long, but since I mostly work at my office, it has not bothered me. However, I am abroad for quite a long time now and the problem is excruciating. In brief, the problem is this: Zotero work very well when my laptop is connected to a Lenovo docking station at my office. When I only work on my laptop, however, everything about Zotero becomes slow to the point of often not working and simply freezing. For example adding new items is near impossible, opening up a pdf. takes forever, simply opening Zotero takes very long as it keeps "loading items". What to do about this issue, any help much appreciated, since I do count on Zotero in my work. Thank you!
  • Do any other programs on your computer become slow or is this exclusive to Zotero? What operating system are you using?
  • This is exclusively Zotero, everything else works fine. Windows 10 is the OS.
  • You could try installing the Zotero Beta which might work better.
  • edited March 21, 2024
    @johwah: We've never heard anything like this, so I think it would have to be something unique about your setup. Are you using a network share or roaming profile, and when you're using the docking station it's Ethernet instead of wifi, or something like that?

If it's not better in the Zotero 7 beta (which there's no particular reason to think it will be, other than that Zotero 7 is generally faster), we can look at a Debug ID for Zotero startup (using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option) just to see if there's anything obvious, but most likely you'd have to troubleshoot with with your IT department.