how to modify a CSL like this?

• edited March 14, 2024
    Choose one of the many numeric styles.
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?format=numeric&dependent=0

But that specific behaviour you won't be able to achieve.
  • edited March 14, 2024
    Please explain the reason you desire this behavior. I'm familiar with many versions of a numbered style. No style expects this behavior in text and this seems almost outrageous to be in a bibliography. Is this a requirement of some publisher or university?

You might be able to achieve the in-text numbering if you cite different duplicate Zotero records but you would nonetheless need to do extensive editing of the bibliography once you have finished and flattened your document Zotero fields.

edit: Do you want to never reuse a number no matter how many times an item is referenced?
  • Thx for your suggestions. The format is required by a centain journal, I've been really speechless.
  • Never reuse a number no matter how many times an item is referenced, and if some of them are the same article, then merge them in references like: [1][3][5][12] article1 Maybe this sounds a bit outrageous, but yes, this is exactly what I want. :(
  • yeah, sorry, I'm afraid Zotero/CSL will be of very limited help with that, I don't even have a good idea for a workaround. Note styles with number consecutively, but then turning the endnotes into a list like you want to won't work well.
  • I'm very curious, which journal requires this unusual format?
  • I've tried all day long in a website which can modify CSL in a visual mode, now I've implemented this funtion: [1-4,5]➡[1][2][3][4][5]. Maybe, I think that's enough, I'm done with it! As for the rest matters, I'll revise them manually.
  • oh, sorry, that one IEEE style would have just given you.