Merging two Zotero accounts

I have two Zotero accounts. Account 1 is associated with my email address for my university where I work. Account 2 is associated with my email address where I am a student (different university). Is there a way to merge the two?
  • Same issue here.
  • You can't merge accounts, but you can add multiple email addresses to an account from your account settings. Assuming one account has data, you should delete the other account to free up the email address and then add it to the other account.

If both accounts have data, that's more complicated, and your best option is to export the library to Zotero RDF with files from the account with less data, switch accounts, and import the .rdf file into the other library. But that will break links for the imported items to any existing citations in Word documents.
  • edited March 7, 2024
    Why will this not work to merge accounts?

A little over a year ago I created a group and included several of my Zotero records in that group library. My colleague joined the group. My colleague included the group item records into his own library in a new collection . I deleted the items from my own library and deleted the group. My colleague has the records in his library and I do not.

edit: [The items were not included in my live word processor documents.]
  • You can't merge accounts because you can't merge accounts — it's not a feature that exists.

It's of course possible to transfer items between libraries via a group library, yes, but exporting to Zotero RDF with files and importing is a bit more straightforward to explain.
  • I mistakenly thought that Zotero RDF was less robust and wouldn't transfer everything. I'm pleased to be wrong and pleased to know of the power of Zotero RDF. That export/import process is indeed much more simple and straightforward than what I've used in the past to share records with another user.